• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Known problem with Raven Shield Night Vision & 9800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

I am having a little problem here. I am a enthousiast Raven Shield player, but since i have my 9800XT i am having some problems.

As soon as i turn on nightvision, my framerate drops DRAMATICALLY. I am talking as in 86 ->30 FPS. I turned all detail lower, AA / FSAA etc off, but still the problem persists. I just cant play normally with N/V on :bang head

A friend of me has the same problems with his 9800pro and same drivers. My old card (ti4200) didnt had the problem, the framerate was constant there (with much less detail though). Does anyone know if N/V is just so intensive, or that it is a software / hardware related problem?

tia,

- Tim

I'm a Ravenshield enthusiast as well!! I also have a 9800 XT!!

What drivers are you using? I recommend the 4.8's.........

I assume this is only in single player since you won't be getting 86 fps online.......

I've had similiar problems with different drivers. I'm guessing it is a driver problem, especially since your friend has the same card & drivers & is having the same problems.

thanks for the reply

this happens both in single and multiplayer, yes i hit 86 frames online (1152*846, all details highest).

I am using the 4.9 Drivers (official release, not the beta)

86 FPS?!?! WHAT. 1152x846 TOO!? I only get 66 (seems locked) at 1024x768/w highest settings possible. In Athena Sword as well. I don't understand. Your using that OC'ed Intel in your rig?

Are you using Fraps or showfps 1 to know the frame rate.

obsolete said:
Are you using Fraps or showfps 1 to know the frame rate.

Both fraps and the built-in RS thingy (console -> FPS) tell me that the game is limited on 86 FPS and BOTH tell me (and of course i can tell) that it goes down to 27 - 30 with N/V on. Yes its the rig in my sig.

It seems i figured out what the problem is, did some research:

640*480 low detail = capped at 60 frames, no N/V drop
640*480 high detail = capped at 60 frames, no N/V drop
1152*846 low detail = capped at 86 frames, drops to 27 with N/V
1152*846 high detail = capped at 86 frames, drops to 27 with N/V
1280*1024 low detail = capped at 86 frames, drops to 11 (!!!!!!!) with N/V
1280*1024 high detail = max 50 frames (PC limited), drops to 11, too

Yes, you read it right, The N/V drop seems unaffected by detail level, only by resolution :eek: :temper:

o btw, this is what i mean by low detail:

Attachments

• RIDICULOUS.JPG
    RIDICULOUS.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 74
AHHH, theres the culprit, I've never tried different resolutions. It seems to be graphic card related. I bet your video card can't handle it. Cause mine on 1024x768 lags. And I'm running a 2.59ghz AMD/w 1024 of ram. Does not lag horribly bad, but it's noticeable at times. Drop your resolution down, I bet you see no lag at that resolution. 1024x768.

if you look at the results above here ^^ you can see that it doesnt matter whether its high or low detailed, the FPS drop happens anyway.

Any resolution above 640*480 lags with nightvision on..while normal play is fine

1024x768 does not lag for me, so I'm guessing your problem lies elsewhere since we have on par systems. I will try on different resolutions to see if the same thing happens. Did you try the 4.8's? I believe thats what I'm on. But like I said before, I have noticed weird lag related problems in Ravenshield with some drivers.

I can't imagine 1152x846 online though......My FPS drops at times to 30's for a few seconds....Not sure what to tell you I guess.

So there is no problem now? I really need to try a few things when I get home tonight. What results do you have for when you tried 1024x768?

well i still suffer from the NightVision drop. HeatVision (sniper guns) is no problem though.

1024 runs the same with a bit smaller NV drop

I run RvS with my FPS capped to 100. Yes that's online. RvS has a single player version? JK, I know it does. The nightvision problem has been a known issue from day one with RvS. Only now that I have an X800XT can I use NV and not have my frames drop out the bottom. I don't think there will ever be a fix for this issue. It is the one issue I never could get resolved.

As for your FPS capped problem try this. Bring up the console and type "netspeed 20000" without the quotes of course. RvS does some weird things with refresh rates also. That's another chapter though. There are many tweaks to perform on RvS to make it run correctly. Mine runs like a hot knife through butter.

hah! many thanks, I don't know about tweakin Ravenshield at all. I did that and fps is way higher now, drops down to 60 fps, don't see problem with n/v though....

**EDIT** Well turns out I don't really know jack about what I'm talking about here to some degree. But the game is sure running way better with that little command. :D Simple search could probably find such things, but I just want to play sometimes. Procrastinate looking.....

Oh yeah, my FPS hit around 200+ online at points. Was great.

Last edited:
i have the netspeed on 30.000 and the cache size on 128 mb already for a long time, i found it increases the smoothness of the main menu stuff, and added a few FPS.

What actually IS the nightvision? just a big .GIF being played all over the screen to create the idea of not-so-accurate-goggles? in that case i can understand why it would lag.

Back