• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a 9700 get up to 9800XT quality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quality? As in ........ ? Speed? Pixel shader? If your talking speed then I doubt it. Maybe if you have some insane cooling going on, if not probably not unless you hit a gold mine overclocking card.

As each card progresses, it renders pixels different, so the picture itself should look better as well.

If you clocked your 9700 up a *lot* then you might be able to match stock 9800 Pro benchmarking scores - but the R350 / R360 cored 9800s are a fair margin faster at the same core speeds (15% if I recall correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'd bet you could match 9800 NP/SE benching scores pretty easily with a little bit of work on cooling.

However, a 9700 is still a superb gaming card, definetely not one I would be in any hurry to replace just yet :).

felinusz said:
If you clocked your 9700 up a *lot* then you might be able to match stock 9800 Pro benchmarking scores - but the R350 / R360 cored 9800s are a fair margin faster at the same core speeds (15% if I recall correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'd bet you could match 9800 NP/SE benching scores pretty easily with a little bit of work on cooling.

However, a 9700 is still a superb gaming card, definetely not one I would be in any hurry to replace just yet :).

my 9700pro at 374/345 gets 6k in 03. a 9800se would MAYBE get 3.5k. a 9800np at stock i think would also fall short, but if flashed and oc'd then lookout! it all depends on individual rigs, but i've seen similar speccd rig to mine with 9800pros pull in similar numbers, if not a BIT more (like 6.2ish).

now, oc a 9800pro to xt levels, and i cannot keep up at all, but for the cost of a 9700pro, it is a fantastic card.

I think if you had a 9700 Pro on a A64 rig that was overclocked you may score higher then someone with a AMD XP rig, also overclocked. But unless you had some massive cooling & also a card that overclocked good (all luck), then I doubt it........I'm sure Futuremark would give it a weaker score just because it's a 9700 Pro.

Back