• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD + PCIe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Are there any Socket A boards out there with PCIe?

I'm curious, because I might have to replace my mobo/cpu and would like to stick with AMD... and I'll be replacing my video card soon (9800Pro is dead) and I don't want to be stuck within the confines of AGP selections.

Thanks,
Frank

There won't be pci-express for socket A, but since your getting a new mobo and cpu why don't you go for a a64 system, nforce 4 and K8T890 will be out by the end of the year or Q1 05 and they will support pci-express.

I just need a system with PCIe by the time World of Warcraft comes out.. :p (not that that game needs power, I just want a modern system).

-Frank

IDK when the nF4 chipset boards are supposed to popup, but you'll have to wait for one to get PCIe, that or wait for VIA's new chipset which will probably not debut earlier than the nF4...

Avg said:
There won't be pci-express for socket A, but since your getting a new mobo and cpu why don't you go for a a64 system, nforce 4 and K8T890 will be out by the end of the year or Q1 05 and they will support pci-express.
AMD is not gonna have PCIe for a long time remember the NB and the SB are on the cpu meaning that they would have 2 change there cpu design and there not gonna do that for a long time. i would try 2 rma that 9800 pro c if u have any warrentte with ATI.

imposter said:
AMD is not gonna have PCIe for a long time remember the NB and the SB are on the cpu meaning that they would have 2 change there cpu design and there not gonna do that for a long time. i would try 2 rma that 9800 pro c if u have any warrentte with ATI.

Your wrong here, only the memory controller is built into the cpu, not the pci bus, or anything else for that matter. The ETA on the nforce4 is around Late October-November, just in time for World of Warcraft and Everquest 2 :)

Back