• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maybe missing the obvious, but....... dual????s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

I am putting together a dual CPU board and was curious (first dual CPU system) how do you get both CPUs to work at 100% when doing a burn in? Which programs will make both CPUs work 100% for burn ins? Thanks for the help, I am still a n00b:)

I dont see why you could not run two work units running Seti. Post in the Seti forum and Morpheus would be glad to help you out and get you up and running.

When you set your system up as a MPS system you get an extra function when bringing up Task Manager. If you open Task Manager and go to the Processes tab there will be a list of processes running on your PC. If you open two instances of SETI and right click on the process in Task Manager you will get the option of setting its afffinity. The process will show as being shared between CPU 0 and CPU1. You can now change each instance of SETI to run under a particular processor.

You can run two instances of Folding@Home.

Install F@H twice into 2 different directories. Then modify the shortcut to have the -local switch on the end of the "Target" box. (for each)

Then start both instances. Your CPU utilization should be 100% on both CPU's. This worked for my dual P2 400 work box this summer.

SickBoy

Oh, and be sure to enter your name as YourName(www.overclockers.com)

and feel free to "burn in" as long as you like. And just for the record, it's cool to run SETI too. Maybe run one SETI and one F@H? That would be cool (not to mention fair).

Last edited:
Here's a program you may find handy called smp seesaw . It let's you assign a particular program to a particular CPU. You can actually do this without smp seesaw by using command line parameters when you launch the program and by setting the programs affinity when you launch it as others have already described, but smp seesaw makes it a bit easier.

Check out some of the other programs mike lin has written on that page also. There are some good ones there. Especially check out the one called startup control panel. I like it alot also. he writes some pretty handy little utilities.

Last edited:
Back