• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radeon 9600pro , mem = 227 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aisowner

Registered
i just got my OEM sapphire advantage radeon 9600pro with 256 mb
and stuck it in my asus a7v8x-x and ran 3dmark2001.

i got a 8200 score .. is that what is expected ?

anyways, i ran atitool to see my default core and mem ( is there
another way to do it ? ) and it was set to 400 and 227.
i was actually expecting a 330 for my mem since newegg says
my card is supposed to run at 660. I tried putting it to around 250 and i
got artifacts.

anyway, the i see that all the chips on my card has "hynix" written on it.

is there a difference between advantage and atlantis ? coz i
can't find any details on advantage.

amd 2200 , 512mb ram , thermalright 947u , radeon 9600pro 256mb , asus a7v8x-x

mem reading .. too low

this is the link to my card by the way.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-350&depa=0

it says on the page i'm supposed to have a 660 mhz memory speed.
although i'm getting way below 330.

i think u read my benchmark as 3dmark2003 ?

because i meant my benchmark for 3dmark2001 is 8200+
i can't remember my 3dmark2k3 score but i'm sure it was less than 4000 that u got.

could it be because of my motherboard ? i don't think so because i just tried
putting my card in a diff system which worked fine with a 9800pro, but
i still got the low mem reading of 227.

it could be that the ram is getting hot if you want to try get a vga silencer like an zalman dual heatpipe heatsink it really cooled down my card and ram on it but you would have to take your time on it cause it is a little hard to put together if you aint watching very closely what your doing oh and if you do decied to get a new heatsink for it play a few games on it for a while so the card can warm up it will make takeing the heatsink off really easy or it could be that you got fualty ram on it

i have rev3

i do have a rev 3 vga silencer .. not sure if that helps the OC'ing the core
only or also the mem speed .

But i wanna make sure that my card is not defected ( or just not powerful enough ) before i void my warranty by putting on the silencer.

It just seems to me that my card is underpowered. It should be able to do mem = 330 mhz with no problem .

should i call newegg and report a problem?

agp .. off ?

i was fiddling around with my display properties and i noticed in smartgart,
the agp was set to off. even when i moved it to 8x or 4x and restarted the pc .. it'll go back to off. .

i've checked my bios and at the section "agp compatibility" , i can see a shaded "8x". i can't change 8x to off / 4x / 2x ..

weird ?

Hmm, I got 12000 on 3dmark 01 se on my dad's 256mb 9600np, non-overclocked on an athlon xp 2.2ghz.

i just updated my bios . .and still .. and the mem is still too low. still stuck at around 227.
way below specs of 330.

please help

Sounds like a faulty card to me. My AXP 1900+ stock beat that with a stock GF4 Ti4200. I've seen those kind of problems before. I'd recommend RMAing it... sounds like it's either the wrong item or a faulty card.

You said you updated the bios, but do you have the latest video and chipset drivers? Sounds to me like you dont have AGP drivers installed.

i installed catalyst 4.9 with the drivers from ati.
i'm not sure about agp drivers/ chipset drivers tho ..

can someone give me a link maybe ?

amd 2200 , 512mb ram , thermalright 947u , radeon 9600pro 256mb , asus a7v8x-x

i found my 4 in 1 drivers for my via chipset. . and now smartguard shows 8x agp speed. .

thanks for that . .but atitool still reports a default mem of ~ 227 mhz . artifacts still show up when i push mem to around 245.

still hoping that it gets to around 330 ( without OC ) as mentioned at the sapphire and newegg website.

i wonder what set the mem default to be 227 anyway ? did a driver do that ? or is it stored somewhere in the card ?

the 3dmark2001 score is up to 8700 now.

i noticed that in display .. properties .. and also in 3dmark2001 .. it only names my card
9600 series .. when i put in a 9700pro or 9800 pro it actually said 9x00pro and not 9x00 series ..

or is it just plain normal for 9600pro to be identified as just 9600series ?

Ya i dont understand why soo many people start complaining soo quickly call customer stupport espically if u just bought it ! I get a lot of prob. solved tht way

sure will

this is the 2nd radeon i'm returning to newegg in 2 weeks.
first was the ati 9700pro refurbished which had artifacts all over.

and this time its an oem sapphire 9600pro.

guess i have to go hunting for the best 9x00pro deal again.
hope i find another great offer, this card was $117 and its already out of stock :(

hope i'll be third time lucky with my next card.

i know this ain't the cyberdeals section, but anyone can suggest the best card i can get for <= $150 ? i wanna avoid refurbished ones tho.

$117-$200= A BIG difference.

I bought a refurbed sapphire 9700pro and it works just fine.

Back