• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cracked fan, lucky computer. (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mage_x

I was playing Desert Combat and I heard this loud pop noies and I was like 'oh **** something just blew up!!:(" Then, my computer proceeded to function normally aside from the loud weed eater sound one of my fans was making. Took out the fan for a closer look and see this big crack, luckily nothing flew off and blasted my motherboard.

Fan only lasted two months. I don't really wanna deal with getting a new one because I have two others just sitting around, so I'll just trash this one and let you beware of CREAIR fans.

PICS:

qbert1.gif

There's the crack going down the middle part above the motor.

qbert2.gif

A closer look.

qbert3.gif

The underside, you can see in the middle where it attaches to the motor part has been broken off

qbert4.gif

Looking closely at the middle of the motor, you can see the part that comes up to connect to the blades. You can see a bit of plastic still stuck to it where it broke off.

qbert5.gif

Me holding the crack open with my fingers. (yes those are used q-tips)

qbert6.gif

I didn't realize two months was a whole 50,000 hours. Thanks for the quality product, CREAIR.

Last edited:
wow that is the fastest 50,000 hours i have ever seen.
well atleast it wasnt a 5000 rpm 120mm delta screamer or it might have impaled a card, or two

~Magick_Man~

...i was moveing cables around once.. to lazy to turn off the computer..

hit my hand in a 120 mm snaping the blade right off sticking into my hand.. that hurt a bit

Don't trash the frame cut out the fan guts with a dremel or the like and keep the fan casing. They make a great spacer duct. Might as well get some use out of it.

heh, I was using a 10,000 RPM thermaltake fan once that had a fin blow off..... luckily it shot outward away from my computer components. Unluckily, it went through the SIDE OF MY STEEL CASE!!! The imbedded itself into my wall (just plain plaster wall). It just barely missed me and I didn't even realize it. That think could have killed me heh. Or at least given me one painful headache. Now I stick with all metal fans... I don't use plastic crap like that. Comair rotrons and other fans with all metal body's and fins.

Last edited:
DocGiggs said:
heh, I was using a 10,000 RPM thermaltake fan once that had a fin blow off..... luckily it shot outward away from my computer components. Unluckily, it went through the SIDE OF MY STEEL CASE!!! The imbedded itself into my wall (just plain plaster wall). It just barely missed me and I didn't even realize it. That think could have killed me heh. Or at least given me one painful headache. Not I still with all metal fans... I don't use plastic crap like that. Comair rotrons and other fans with all metal body's and fins.

I have a big EBM "Toe Trimmer" on the side of my case. Those well built steel bladed fans do work well and for a very very long time. :thup:

:eek: i have a few fans that look exactly like that one, as well as a bunch of plastic comair rotrons. now i'm worried! I have had a few fan fins brake off but i've never seen the entire thing crack in half like that.

I had an Intel stock HSF get crushed in shipping. I didn't realize it, but the fan was pressed hard against the HS and unable to move. I installed it, installed XP, and immediately noticed it said my CPU fan wasn't moving. I rebooted into the BIOS to verify this, tore the side of the case off before I even saw that the temps were in the 70s, and noticed the fan was stopped.

I reached out to grab it for god knows what reason, tapped the fan to see if it'd start moving, and BLAM the whole thing exploded. The whole thing did a nasty job on my hand over it, and the force knocked one of my fingers hard into the heatsink and burned the living crap out of me.

All in all, a rewarding experience, heh.

"a rewarding experience"

ok.. if pain is rewarding.. ... the fans looks like them cheep antic fans btw

jbarket said:
I reached out to grab it for god knows what reason, tapped the fan to see if it'd start moving, and BLAM the whole thing exploded. The whole thing did a nasty job on my hand over it, and the force knocked one of my fingers hard into the heatsink and burned the living crap out of me.

All in all, a rewarding experience, heh.

Wow, haha, damn. Let that be a lesson....Intel sux.

I think I have some of those fans in my computer. Never had a problem with them. I'll have to keep an eye on them now.

Ken

That's just the fan I have in the top of my case as a "blow-hole" <Yikes!> Thanks for the warning - on with the jockstrap till I get it replaced!

Attachments

• 100_0065.jpg
    100_0065.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 319
LOL, well you guys that buy metal fans now, don't get your fingers caught in them. Damn that hurts..... I've got a 120mm 230v AC fan on 110, and that bastige got me one time. It's not that it's going fast, it's that it's got mass behind it, and inertia takes over for a split second...just long enough to dig in ;)

My friend had a 150mm fan on full blast, and it dismounted it self and ripped up half of his mobo. It was going at 4000RPM and his mobo = raped. He said the fan came inches away from his arm cause he had the side panel off working on wire management. He later sold those fans and got a new mobo.

Shaitan said:
Wow, haha, damn. Let that be a lesson....Intel sux.
Since Intel fan = Sanyo Denki, the oc.com army will soon pummel you :D

(yes those are used q-tips)

Q-tips are quite underestimated in modding context. This is perhaps one of my best mods. My NB was getting to hot, so I put this thing on with a rubber band and some AS.

http://brillegeit.com/Crapbilder/DSCN0773.JPG
http://brillegeit.com/Crapbilder/DSCN0776.JPG

Used q-tips on the otherhand belongs on the floor with the rest of the garbage.

Back