• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ProLiant DL380 / ML530 (G1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

I'we become the "proud" caretaker for a few of thease... Suddently i face a exec telling me "we need to upgrade, look in to it"

So far i havent recived an good responce from Compaq, but it would seam i cant simply grabb every second cpu and bang over to the other mobo's, making it fully populated, it needs some voltage kit, and its note really the same slots, are they? (im kinda limited from opening up the cases other then when its actualy going to happen, they are in operative status)

Present setups are (supposedly, according to lists i got supplied) 1Ghz P3 all around, one may or may not be a DL380 G2, since it (apperently?) holds a Xeon.

Oh, btw, does anyone know how to enter the bios in thease things?

Any thoughts would be nice.
B!

The CPUs for those will be regular Intel parts, and thus, you should be able to use almost any that you find provided they are the same clock, fsb, voltage, etc.

The only difference in slots you might have would be if you have Xeons, they will be slot-2 instead of slot-1. Among the xeons, there are three variations - PII xeon without on-cartridge VRM, PIII xeon without on-cartridge VRM, PIII xeon with on-cartridge VRM.

Judging from Compaq's page for the ML530, all speeds listed are of the "PIII Xeon with on-cartridge VRM" variety. These will be called "5v/12v" if looking at ebay or a surplus retailer. The other type would require you to buy VRM modules, but again, all speeds that Compaq lists for the ML530 are of the type not requiring extra VRMs.

The DL380 appears to use a regular PIII @ 1GHz. This should be easy to find, though it doesn't specify if it's slot or socket type. Obviously socket type will be much easier to get, as even Newegg still has a few for around $80. It's hard telling if you'll need a VRM card for this one - PIIIs don't have them on-cartridge, and it's pretty much up to the mobo manufacturer how they want to do it.

For more info, see here: SMP FAQ

I stole a lot of the Intel VRM info from there, but then again, I posted it in the first place so I don't care. :)

Most Compaq BIOSes i've seen tend to use the F10 key, but with servers, they may vary. I worked on a proliant a while back but don't recall if it was unique. :-/ As long as it's not a combination of multiple keys, it shouldn't be too bad to figure out. :)

Well, i'we yet got to open up and look on the hardware, BUT, from looking on spare/upgrade/replacement lists, it seams to be the same cpu/vrm kit both for upgrading to dual as when upgrading to a faster cpu, or replacing a burnt one...
Its a P3 With VRM add in needed btw.. the reason i asked since i looked on the lists, and i looked on a schematic... the cpu slots are named "slot 1 - slot 2" Problem is, it dosent say anywhere if that is the physical slot, or just the apic numbering...

Then im wondering, IF it is a "standard" P3 slot 1 thingy... then i "should" be able to pick a cpu of one of the other rigs and push in as second along with its VRM, to make that one a dual... and then i have to ask a second question.. offcourse... Would it by any chance be possible to run socket 370's over a slot 1 adaptor, and hook up a faster cpu? Asking since Compaq claims max for the G1 DL380 to be 1Ghz... It would be helpfull if even i could only run it as single cpu with a 1.3-1.4Ghz P3... (there were those, if i remeber right, right?)

About the bios, when i press F10 i only get the config menues for the raid array... Oh well, thanks for the ideas / suggetions...

quick spec for the G1 DL380

Link provided, if anyone has any ideas from that, shout.
Thanks again.
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
Its a P3 With VRM add in needed btw.. the reason i asked since i looked on the lists, and i looked on a schematic... the cpu slots are named "slot 1 - slot 2" Problem is, it dosent say anywhere if that is the physical slot, or just the apic numbering...B!

A PIII (not a xeon PIII) is always slot-1 (unless it's socket-370 obviously) so that must be how they designate position. It's still odd though, as they are usually 0 and 1 not 1 and 2.

-=Mr_B=- said:
Then im wondering, IF it is a "standard" P3 slot 1 thingy... then i "should" be able to pick a cpu of one of the other rigs and push in as second along with its VRM, to make that one a dual... and then i have to ask a second question.. offcourse... Would it by any chance be possible to run socket 370's over a slot 1 adaptor, and hook up a faster cpu? Asking since Compaq claims max for the G1 DL380 to be 1Ghz... It would be helpfull if even i could only run it as single cpu with a 1.3-1.4Ghz P3... (there were those, if i remeber right, right?) B!

Yes, that should work to use parts from other machines, assuming the VRMs are the same/similar (voltage pinout etc.).

For the 2nd question - those adapters do work great (I've used 1.4GHz tualatins in a dual slot-1 board), but there's no guarantee that adapters would work with the Compaq boards you have there. I know that the Intel OR840 won't work at all with those adapters, for example. It's more or less a crap-shoot if the hardware you're using isn't listed as "compatible" with the adapter manufacturer.

Upgradeware compatibility list.

Power Leap adapters.

If you do want to try adapters, the Power-Leaps are by far the best - they have their own power circuitry so as to not burn up the mobo.

Either way, it should be interesting. :)

They are identical setups (Compaq DL380 G1) so then moving pices of hardware around wónt be any problem. Im guessing, but even if the PL-iP3T has its own power circutry, id still need the vrm module tho? Its just a guess, but it feels valid to say i will.

I'we sent a support question about the compatability to Powerleap, and if it turns out positive, we will have to talk about it internaly on the office. I can never have as much fun as i want.

Thanks for the help, any thurther ideas i might need to hear is appreachiated....

B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
but even if the PL-iP3T has its own power circutry, id still need the vrm module tho? Its just a guess, but it feels valid to say i will.
B!

Yeah you'll definately still need a VRM module, otherwise there'd be nothing to supply the PL-iP3T in the first place. The PL-iP3T onboard power stuff is sort of a booster so you can use much faster CPUs in boards that were never designed to handle them (it also corrects for lower Vcores, in a Tualatin for example).

Kinda what i expected, that just means i'll be forced to by VRM's somewhere, is that a "standard item" or should one get "Compaq original" ? Im guessing its Compaq original that is "the right thing" and in sutch a case it might be hard to convince the management to upgrade in sutch a way... getting the VRM alone seams hard, and getting the kit AND a PL-iP3/T seams expencive, even to me, and i aint the one supposed to pay :- )

I see you got a few duals running, None seams to be running of the adaptor in question (atleast not at a glance) any acctual experience? All Powerleap experience i have is from a PL-ProMMX (Socket 7) Worked great...

Thanks, you'we been an inspiration, Now i'm going to look more at the Xeon upgrade possabilities, atleast they dont need a VRM... the ML-530 is Xeon based....

B!

Wel this might help some. I currently own a proliant 5500. I have to use Smart Start software to change any bios settings and config the raid controller. Smart start is wonderful , it has all the drivers and everythign you need to config it. MY server has 4 xeons and they all require there own vrm and they are compaq made. Just thought id give some heads up about smart start.

The DL380 has a hot key at post you can enter BIOS as for the others I don't know. Also the DL380's if going dual proc need additional fans installed or you will likely run into overheating issue. I believe it's 3 additional fans.

Just noticed you said G2's all my experience is with G3's so take it with a grain of salt.

Jeff

Hhum, my first response from Powerleap was "sorry, no upgrades available" then i reposted my question, realizing it might be my info leaving them a bit hanging in the blue.. Then i recived this response:

"Hi,

we have not tested your system(s) before the best bet would be to wait until the systems have arrived and then run our InSPES (online) utility to see what upgrades it suggests. From what I can find the ProLiant DL-380 G1, has a slot 1 P3 1.0GHz and if it runs on a 133Mhz FSB, the best upgrade would be the PL-P3/SMP 1.4GHz P3 dual kit, if it runs on a 100MHz FSB we have the same kit but with 1.0GHz P3s, and that would not be worth it as the systems come with OEM 1.0GHz processors (our upgrades do not work in SMP with original Intel slot 1 processors). For the Xeon system, we only offer our PL-P3/Xeon SMP kit which uses the Intel P3 1.4Ghz processor this also runs on a 133MHz FSB, these kits are available in single or dual. Either way, we will only be able to offer a 400Mhz increase from the current 1.0GHz processors, this is usually not enough of an increase for customers to pursue, however you are welcomed to try our upgrades and take advantage of our 30-day refund warranty."

As best i can tell, that means i should be able to upgrade the 133Mhz based platforms from single cpu 1Ghz to dyal cpu 1.4Ghz.. more then enough for the next 2-3 years or more here.

If im mistaking, please correct me, but thats what i gatherd?

Secondly, since i currently only have a DL-380 at my location, i cant look at the ML-530, but i gatherd that the standard means there is supposed to be a VRM also for the P3 Xeon's ?

Thanks For any / all ideas and responses.
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
i'll be forced to by VRM's somewhere, is that a "standard item" or should one get "Compaq original" ? Im guessing its Compaq original that is "the right thing" B!
With the VRMs I've been around (mostly on PPro systems) the Compaq ones were a totally different shape/size connector, and thus couldn't be used in other boards (brands) and vice-versa. These will probably be easiest to find on ebay (I've bought a few from there).

-=Mr_B=- said:
I see you got a few duals running, None seams to be running of the adaptor in question (atleast not at a glance) any acctual experience? B!
The slockets I've used were with a P3C-D and 1.4GHz Tualatins (dual of course) as seen here . Those were Upgradeware brand slockets. That setup would even run 150fsb all day long with no trouble. There is definately no stability tradeoff for using slockets.

That message you recieved from PowerLeap is certainly promising and it sounds like they are fairly confident it will work. And they also have a free return policy. That would certainly be worth a try, and like you said, it'll get you a few more years of use out of them without spending big bucks yet.

-=Mr_B=- said:
Secondly, since i currently only have a DL-380 at my location, i cant look at the ML-530, but i gatherd that the standard means there is supposed to be a VRM also for the P3 Xeon's ?
B!
EDIT: Answered my own question :). For ML-530 G1, the CPU speeds Compaq lists shouldn't need VRMs, as they are onboard the CPU cartridges, meaning the mobo probably doesn't even have places to put VRMs. It'll be nice when you can actually have a look at the machines.

Last edited:
I dont know exacly what to say.. Thanks is in place i guess...

"HUGE Frikin' Thanks Mate"

So far i belive i got most if not all the info i can untill i get it down.
Now i just have to wait, nobody really seams to know when the darn servers will be shipped over, or if we are going to pick em up on ower own... at this moment my "kids" are stuck in the middle of a company argument, and held as some sort of warrenty by the other party.

Sucks, what am i to do at work then, cant justify getting paid if i dont do anything.
B!

Back