• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 9800Pro Dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DooLocsta

I leave my computer at home on 24/7 when I got in from work yesterday I walked past my office and could hear a siren going off so I was like wth is that. I had noticed that the power had went out yesterday becuase my clocks were not set. I sat down and the computer and turned on the monitor to see this red stripe in the middle saying "You have forgotten to plug the external power connecter in to you Radeon 9800 video card" I turned it off and checked my power connection and all is good there but when I turned it back on it did it again. This is a Sapphire 9800Pro with R360 core (Weak core might I add) but I have not modified it and it is less that 4 mos. old. So my question really is, Is it a dead card now.

Thanks DooLocsta

Try in in another computer, or atleast another power supply. If the boards AGP slot is flakey, or the aux powerline going into the card is bad you could get that error.

I'd say if it doesn't work in another good mobo or another good PSU then is probably is someting wrong with the card. In which case, since you have not modified it, it should still be under warranty, so atleast not all will be lost.

i would try another lead off of your PSU, and then a diff PSU. afaik, if that message is shown, your card is safe, but it doesn't think its pluggen in. i've had it a few times with my 9700 with various power supplies.

I will try another computer and psu when I get home I appreciate the help guys.

Well I tried another molex on my PSU and it works fine now, sorry for all the questions but I have another. After knowing my 9800 still works and wasn't dead (PHEW) I wanted to find out what the problem was, so I grabbed my molex pin extractor and ejected the pins from that molex connector and they all looked fine except the red +6volt it was really tarnished and looked as if it had shorted out or something. I cleaned it up as best I could and plugged it into an old hd I had laying around and it powered it up fine. The way my wiring is in my case that connector needs to go to the 9800, well it works but I wanna know if I am playing with (FIRE) here or what. BTW thanks for your help with the earlier situation.

Back