• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 Pro vs. 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XiaO8

Registered
Ok, i want answers that have nothing to do with Doom 3(6800) and HL2(X800).

I just want straight up non-biased answers, so if your biased towards one company, don't bother posting.

I just would like to know, simply, which is better overall for game performance.

Unfortunately, it has everything to do with Doom 3 and HL2. Nvidia will do better in OpenGL engine (Doom 3), and Ati will do better in Direct3D (HL2).

As of right now, the 6800GT is considered as a better card. However, the future will have to depend on what kind of engine the software developers use. Personally, I will say go with the 6800GT. Fry's price both the BFG 6800GT and the Visiontek X800 pro at $350.

cool, ya it's a hard choice, i've always been a fan of ATI, but i'd like to try nvidia out as well.

I guess messed over mostly because like you said i don't know how game developers are going to make upcoming games.

Either card is great tho, they are high-end so its a win-win either way.

If anyone else has something to add, mayb personal experience with both etc or one, then plz post, i have to make the decesion in 7 hrs

another vote for the 6800gt - a lot of future games are gonna be using ps3....

I would say the 6800gt is a more powerful card, but I would probably get the X800, mostly because like Ati drivers a lot better. Ati is adding lots of new features as well, who knows what they will come up with?

Personally I would get the 6800 GT because it has pixel shader 3.0 and 16 pipes versus the X800 Pro's 12 pipes. Not much of a speed difference really, but you know you'll be happier with a 16 pipe card in the long run..

pixel shader 3.0 means nothing.

they can't even do previous pixel shader versions correctly yet.

if there are ever cases where 3.0 is needed, ati simply has to do one or 2 more passes in ps2 for the SAME output. and it would get done faster than in ps3.0 natively.

I'd get the 6800GT over the X800 Pro, if only because structural crippling (-4 pipelines with the Ati) is too heavy-handed for mainstream positioning IMO.

There is a new option in the form of the X800 non-pro/non-PE though. They'll be introducing this type in AGP format now too. This is the GT of Ati- full structural similarity to the PE, but lower clock speed. I'd check it out if I were you, might be worth it.

One product review here:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_x800_xt_agp_review/

hUMANbEATbOX said:

Then which one are you talking about???

If it's the 6800 series, I'm interested to know which article talks about it. I'm in the mids of shopping for my video card, and I am still debating between 6800 and X800. If that really is a problem, I like to know about it.

hUMANbEATbOX said:

There *were* problems with old games that were heavily optomized for the FX series. The 6800s have no issues with shading.

Id like to see the proof of your claims and under what context

If it's the 6800 series, I'm interested to know which article talks about it. I'm in the mids of shopping for my video card, and I am still debating between 6800 and X800. If that really is a problem, I like to know about it.

I see *NO* Iq difference between a 9800PRO --> XT from my 6800GT. Not only that but its a hellova lot more stable

hUMANbEATbOX said:
pixel shader 3.0 means nothing.

they can't even do previous pixel shader versions correctly yet.

if there are ever cases where 3.0 is needed, ati simply has to do one or 2 more passes in ps2 for the SAME output. and it would get done faster than in ps3.0 natively.

Don't mean no offence, but if you want to make claims like that, please show some articles that actually proves it. Otherwise, most of the people here are going think that you create these claims out of thin air.

Between the Pro and GT, I'd go for the GT. It seems to be a tad bit faster, has PS3.0 (even though nothing uses it :D), has all 16 pipes, and I've never owned an nVidia card (which I think would be interesting to have given my history of being a fanATIc).

If you let me choose between a Pro VIVO and GT though, I'd get the Pro VIVO. A modded VIVO is > a GT IMO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@beatbox:
I've heard of problems with the 6800 not doing PS2.x/PS1.x correctly, though I believe it was related to tests being done with Shadermark. If I remember correctly, a variable type that the program used for PS2.x operation was not available on the 6800, causing it to fail several tests. The variable type they used was not required to be supported by Microsoft, so it really was a problem with the program instead of the card.

Unless you're referring to something different, in which case I'd be interested in whatever sites (or forum topics) you can link up on this topic :)

JigPu

Hey nvidia 6800 gt is better but if you download the beta driver 8.07 x800 XT PE beat the 6800 GT ultra by 800 pts in 3dmark 2005 (this is a ****ing huge difference) at stock speed even me with my x800 pro and my 12 pipline overcloack at 540/570 i beat the 6800 gt ultra and some will say that you can overcloack the nvidia too, but you almost need a water cooling because the 6800 GT is far more hotter and if you buy the ultra you need 2 molex connector. So i stay with ati for this generation

here the ati link to get the beta driver.

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4649.html (click on driver hotfix)

that boost my score from 4300 to 5200 but this mostly on 256 mb card cause the patch is mostly on memory allocation.

I say get one of each and swap them pending what game you want to play :clap:

You can't draw a clear winner with either one of these and I don't see that chaning anytime in the near future. This is like arguing who makes a better car/truck is it Ford or Chevy. Bottom line both are excellent choice and you can't go wrong with either. Thank goodness there both in business because without the direct competition we'd be paying $800-900 for the same video cards.

FIZZ3 said:
I'd get the 6800GT over the X800 Pro, if only because structural crippling (-4 pipelines with the Ati) is too heavy-handed for mainstream positioning IMO.

you of all people should know better that pipelines alone don't make or break a vid card.

the 5900u had only 4 pipes, the 9800pro had 8 pipes.
they were basicly the same performance wise.
one cards winning some, and the other winning the rest of the benchmarks.

jigpu, if you think that the 5900's can do well in SM2.0, then go ahead a look at the scores on 3dmark05, or the beta HL2 stress tests. ;)

then there is my new investigation on the 6800 cards.....LOOK.
it seems that the 6800's now don't do FSAA.

add a lack of FSAA in many games to the (what I understand now as DTS) poor shadows and missing light sources of farcry with the recalled 1.2 patch...

pic by Sentential
FarCry0005.jpg

DTS shadowing on 6800 cards in 3damark05, now has futuremark giving us a test that we now can't use for "apples to apples" IQ testing, AGAIN.

dst_diff.jpg
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332882

I have to say, get a ATI card if you want IQ, and get a nVidia card if you can't jump ship.

shoot, my 12 pipe x800pro at 540/550 can keep up or beat a 6800u at stock speeds.
my mem bandwith is just as fast as the x800xt(pe), and my 6 vertex engines are running faster then the x800xt(pe).
who needs the extra pipes?

with my first run in 3dmark05 being 5392, with IRC and xFire running in the background, I have to say that it is a great score.
and my IQ is better then the nVidia cards in this test too (due to futuremarks adding DTS for nVidia cards).

ATI has never intentionaly lowerd IQ to rise benchmark scores like nVidia has on the 5900's, and what now looks like the 6800's too.

I say get a x800pro if you like IQ in all your games.
get the 6800gt if you like.....well I can't find a reason to get a 6800gt at this time.

it's sad, nVidia is up to it's old tricks again with no FSAA and texture shimmering in some games this time around.
when will they learn?

note: it is futuremark that is trying to dupe us with 3dmark05, not nVidia.

mica

Last edited:
Well, i made up my mind, i went with the eVGA 6800 GT 256MB Video Card.

Looks like this is the card the will last the longest in the long run with the 16 pipelines and higher shader support.

Thx for the input. :D

Here's a question tho, with my current comp setup will i see a big increase in performance?

I know i have a athlon 2800+, and having a 64 would be better.

I plan to upgrade my motherboard to a socket 939 in about two months mayb, and pkup a AMD Athlon 64 3400+, or 3500+.

i went with the x800 for a couple of reasons:

- better image quality overall
- hoping that I would get a bb ati vivo and flash
- knowing that that they can clock very high even with the stock cooler
- 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200 benches with aa/af almost always goto the x800 pro over the 6800 gt, as i have a monitor capable of 1600 x 1200 @ 85 hz.
- my bb ati 8500le has never let me down
- the 6800 gt is a huge card, and my case is already cramped enough/it would interfere with my ram fanage :)

that's about it. the 6800 gt is a very nice card though, and i would take either. basically i got the x800pro 40$ cheaper than i could get a 6800 gt, so i went for it. also doom 3 sucks, and i don't play many open gl games.

just pick one, you won't be dissapointed either way. :cool:

don't :argue: about it, just get a card and start gaming/benching.

Back