• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replace fans or get fan controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warmonger

Registered
I got 2 x 120 mm delta fans and they are too loud!

When I first power up it is spin up all the way and then when computer POSTs it would drop back down to somewhat agreeable noise level.

Do you guys think it would be better to replace the fans or get a fan controller? For either solution what would you recommend?

Thanks!

mribnik said:
Do you know the specs or the model number of the fans?

It is rated
operating voltage: 7 to 13.8 V
max 3400 RPM
CFM: 113
noise: 46.5 db

Electron Chaser said:
OK those models pull .53 Amps for a total of 6.36 watts.

So you could easily runs those fans on just about any fan controller out there. If you want to look at the specs yourself here is the link they are on page 22.

Delta AFB Series Fans pdf

I wouldn't replace the fans Delta makes a great fan.

So what kind of power connector does a fan controller use? I mean the fans I have use the 3 pin connector, so does this connect to the fan controller and then controller is connect 4 pin molex??
Is there a particular model/brand I should look for?

Thanks!

Warmonger said:
So what kind of power connector does a fan controller use? I mean the fans I have use the 3 pin connector, so does this connect to the fan controller and then controller is connect 4 pin molex??
Is there a particular model/brand I should look for?

Thanks!

Most of them use 3 pin connectors to hook up to the fans, in addition generally come with 3 to 4 pin molex adapters as well.

As far as what fan controller to get you will see many praises for sunbeam with their unmatched 20 watt per channel output. (Good luck finding one though). Vantec is also a good choice with 18 watts per channel. There are several other good manufacturers out there as well so take a look around and find one you like. Then come back here and run it by us we won't steer you wrong.

Electron Chaser said:
Most of them use 3 pin connectors to hook up to the fans, in addition generally come with 3 to 4 pin molex adapters as well.

As far as what fan controller to get you will see many praises for sunbeam with their unmatched 20 watt per channel output. (Good luck finding one though). Vantec is also a good choice with 18 watts per channel. There are several other good manufacturers out there as well so take a look around and find one you like. Then come back here and run it by us we won't steer you wrong.

I was looking at the sunbeam fan rheobus and was wondering how much does the knobs stick out? The reason I ask is beacause my case has cover over the 5 1/4 bays (the hide the different drive faceplate colors) so I'm not sure if I would be able to close the cover. Are there any controller with small knobs? There are the coolermaster without knowbs but they are expensive.

First of all, I just saw in a different thread someone saying the sunbeam was discontinued. In that case, I'd probably go for a vantec. I actually had one of their 3.5" fan controllers and it was pretty good. If you can find a sunbeam then, go for it. What kind of case do you have? I have an antec 3700amb with a door over the 5.25" drives and the door still closes even with the sunbeam knobs.

mribnik said:
First of all, I just saw in a different thread someone saying the sunbeam was discontinued. In that case, I'd probably go for a vantec. I actually had one of their 3.5" fan controllers and it was pretty good. If you can find a sunbeam then, go for it. What kind of case do you have? I have an antec 3700amb with a door over the 5.25" drives and the door still closes even with the sunbeam knobs.

I use the 3.5" Vantec fan controllers with my case and they work well. The door has no trouble closing.

NewCaseFront.JPG

mribnik said:

Well I have YY-5601 case and doesn't look like there is much room between the door and the bays. Could someone perhaps measure how far the knobs come out on the sunbeam controller?

Thanks guys!

Warmonger said:
Well I have YY-5601 case and doesn't look like there is much room between the door and the bays. Could someone perhaps measure how far the knobs come out on the sunbeam controller?

Thanks guys!

The knobs stick out 7/16" according to my measurements. If that'll fit for you, good luck finding one. If not, I'd go with the controller EC suggests.

mribnik said:
The knobs stick out 7/16" according to my measurements. If that'll fit for you, good luck finding one. If not, I'd go with the controller EC suggests.

Thanks mribnik!
From the pics I would have thought it to be bigger than 7/16". I think my case might about 1/2" clearance.

I got a Vantec fan controller and it was crap. The Sunbeam and Zalman are much better, or if you're willing to pay for it, a Cooler Master even.

I say buy new fans. Sanyo Denki 120mm fans push 102cfm @ 39dba. Which is WAY quieter than those Delta's. Volume doubles for every 3dba.

Back