• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bext value readon card, 9800pro? 9800xt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

what do u gusy think is the best value for money radeon card at the moment? readon 9800 above? i was thinking of getting a 9800pro 128mb, or would a 9800xt be better?

go with the r9800 pro for sure, i got my r9800 pro running at the speeds in my sig, which well exceed the r9800XT stock speeds. Only advantage for 9800XT is that u got the 256mb (small difference for games these days).

I personally would wait if u can till after chrimbo, and get a cheap x800pro

If you cant wait get a r9800pro (make sure its from sapphire or som1 with a r360 core to o/c to xt, saying that r350's get better o/c so doesnt really matter, but get a good hs + fan for it like the vga cooler rev 3 and some ram sinks)

if the one in the first picture is really what the card looks like then it's a 9800pro pcb. The second one I can't tell.... it's a gamble either way but if you get the r360 core on an xt pcb, you can flash it to an xt for free.

Pretty much all the new 9800 Pro cards come with an R360 core, most with an XT PCB.

If you buy from a store that moves a lot of inventory (a big place like Frys, or Best Buy is a good bet, and big online vendors like newegg are even better in this sense so long as you stay away from older refurbished hardware), you are much more likely to get a newer card with an XT PCB, and an R360 core.

Because big vendors like newegg sell a lot of hardware, they are restocking constantly, and almost always have 'fresh', recently manufactured products in stock and on the shelves.

i cant buy from places like newegg or frys, but i think ebuyer.com is pretty big, and hopefully i will get the r360 core... how can i tell if it's a r350 or r360 core? when i have the card in my hands. or even on the box? cuz i could phone some of these retailers up and ask if it has a r350 or r360 core... lol

edit: what does the "Lite" tag mean? i.e. Sapphire ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128mb (Lite), and also what does "Ultimate" mean?

Last edited:
Look on sapphires website. I think the lite is refering the the stuff you get with the card. The lite version will only come with drivers and maby one game or something, while the full will come with lots of other stuff....

The ultimate version is installed with a fancy heatpipe cooler. Much more fun to install one yourself, i say :)

Do some 9800pro 128mb cards have XT PCB's? I know most have the 360cores... and any likely price drops? Im looking for one to hold me out till i can afford me a new rig :>

~t0m

Back