• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optical to analog converter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Hey, I want to hook up some speakers to my computer, but I get a bad buzzing. I know, some sort of grounding issue, but I don't want to f with it. I have on board 5.1 surround w/optical on my MSI board. Is there a little device that can connect to the digital source and convert it back to 6 channels of analog? This way, there'd be no physical connection between my computer and my stereo.

Do you have an amplifier or reciever for the speakers?

Edit: What kind of speakers are you hooking up that are buzzing?
How are you connecting them?

Last edited:
Right now I have it plugged in to a Y-adaptor and then the auxiliary (RCA) inputs for my stereo.

Ok,I dont know why your getting buzzing.
Do you have a digital reciever? So you can try using a coax or optical connection instead?

Unfortunately, I'm still in the stone age, the only optical devices I got are my Computer's on board sound and my PS2. If I had an optical receiver, I'd prolly use it...on my TV that is, hehe.

I jus want some sort of mini-receiver that can receive an optical signal and split it into 6 different RCA signals so I can hook it to my current setup.

Creative makes a decoder called the DDTS-1000 or something like that. You are not looking at a cheap solution, as every decoder has to pay money to Dolby labs and DTS labs for using the symbols and codecs to decompress the sound. Nearly every digital - enabled receiver can also do this, but that's even more expensive...

Try a new cable or new speakers.

There are ghetto solutions to convert an optical digital signal to coax digital signal, but DACs aren't cheap or easy to build yourself, if you had the guts for something like that...

Back