• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 pros dying????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

Hmm... This is making me sketchy about maybe getting a new x800pro for christmas. But i probly still will anyways and if i get one then i will get an Ati built one and not mod it or overclock it (at least wont o'c for a while). But please post on how your x800pro handles, for the sake of me not going to nvidia(ewwww).

My sapphire X800 Pro VIVO modded perfectly and runs amazingly and then some. I don;t stress it too often but BOY... I can run Doom 3, Halo, etc at full and It doesn;t even flinch.

Got an ATi x800pro vivo on ebay NIB for 360$ the man didn't know it was vivo.

Voltmodded to 1.5, overclocked to 520/560 opened the 4 pipes and it runs @ XTPE speeds perfectly with my ATi4 silencer on it.

Jacobman said:
Hmm... This is making me sketchy about maybe getting a new x800pro for christmas. But i probly still will anyways and if i get one then i will get an Ati built one and not mod it or overclock it (at least wont o'c for a while). But please post on how your x800pro handles, for the sake of me not going to nvidia(ewwww).

Bah! Cut the fanboy crap! I wouln't worry too much about the "eeeeewww" factor of switching to nVidia anymore. At least they cleaned up their act w/ the new 6x00 cards. The 6800 GT's are performing excellently; and in some of the latest benchmarks, even the 6600 GT's (a midrange card) are nearly on par w/ the x800 pro. The bonus w/ the 6800 GT is that you don't have to do any mod to get the 16 pipes, and a lot of ppl are having great success overclocking the GT's to Ultra speeds. ;)

Bottom line: Unlike last generation (9800 vs 5900), you really can't go wrong w/ either a x800 or a 6800 based card. In some cases (most dx9) the x800 will win out, and in some (mainly ogl) the 6800's will have the edge. In either case, the difference isn't that noticable, typically ~2-5 fps average (from what I've seen). :D

YellowDart said:
Bah! Cut the fanboy crap! I wouln't worry too much about the "eeeeewww" factor of switching to nVidia anymore. At least they cleaned up their act w/ the new 6x00 cards. The 6800 GT's are performing excellently; and in some of the latest benchmarks, even the 6600 GT's (a midrange card) are nearly on par w/ the x800 pro. The bonus w/ the 6800 GT is that you don't have to do any mod to get the 16 pipes, and a lot of ppl are having great success overclocking the GT's to Ultra speeds. ;)

Bottom line: Unlike last generation (9800 vs 5900), you really can't go wrong w/ either a x800 or a 6800 based card. In some cases (most dx9) the x800 will win out, and in some (mainly ogl) the 6800's will have the edge. In either case, the difference isn't that noticable, typically ~2-5 fps average (from what I've seen). :D

your gonna tell someone with a ATi avatar to cut the fan boy crap? lol

theres nothing wrong with the 6800's, id rather own one over a x800. :D

and why does everyone have it in their head that the 5900 series are so bad? jeez they score a few hundred points less on 3dmark03 then the 9800pros...lets burn them all! :mad:

my X800XT lasted a week, i didn't even try to clock the thing, it just started to artifact. The reason i ordered that was my 9800xt also went wrong (both Asus cards). I now have a 6800 Ultra with VGA cooler RV 5, and so far so good, from my experince ATI (or maybe Asus/ATI cards) are not great in terms of reliablity.

Been lovin my X800Pro VIVO modded to an XT for about a month now. Obsolutly phenominal performance. DOOM3 looks great at 1024x768 w/ 2xAA and 8xAF on high quality. Far Cry runs beautifully with all eye candy on very high and 4xAA and 8xAF. I can't wait until HL2 comes along.

Jacobman said:
What does "vivo" do? and if its now vivo is that still good?

The ViVo stands for "video in video out" and those are virtually the only x800 cards you can flash to 16 pipes. They come with 1.6ns memory as well, so it can be OC'd higher than the standard x800 pro.

So yes, if you have a vivo that's excellent, as 99% of the x800 pro -> XTPE conversions are done with vivos, not to mention they cost on average $50-$100USD more than the normal pro.

I would not worry about reliability. If you run your card at good temps, with not too much voltage, you will be fine. I have never personally heard of any ATi cards just dying out of the blue, only on forums. And then, the majority on forums I have heard die were the non ati brand. Example - powercolor, gecube.

Drec said:
your gonna tell someone with a ATi avatar to cut the fan boy crap? lol

theres nothing wrong with the 6800's, id rather own one over a x800. :D

and why does everyone have it in their head that the 5900 series are so bad? jeez they score a few hundred points less on 3dmark03 then the 9800pros...lets burn them all! :mad:

lol Good point. Slight oversight on my part. :p

My point wasn't that the 5900's were bad cards. The main point is that the 9800's smoked them in most benchmarks. Also the fact that the gf5x00 midrange cards were all a joke. Anyway, that doesn't really matter any more. nVidia fixed what was wrong w/ their last line in this current crop of cards and are now giving ATi a serious run for the performance crown.

Last edited:
Really just depends on what you play game wise. If they are DirectX games then the ATI cards will smoke the nvidia cards. If you play openGL then the opposite will hold true. Already, that's a moot and proven point.

Now, back to the original topic. Yes there are many more video cards dying from both the ati and nvidia new lines. At least a slightly higher percentage wise. They allso still have long warranties. The reason? A bad video card is going to fail in the first 30 days if it's going to fail. If it makes it past 30 days then chance of failure for that card drops to non-existent levels (barring no stupidity on the users part) until the card is over 3 years old. Then the failure rates increase again. This is straight from the horses mouth from both card companies.

I've reflashed my Sapphire x800pro passed xt pe 530/553. Its been running like that since the beginning of July. I have a silencer 4 on it and running ATI tool. I couldn't be happier with it. Runs flawlessly.

I see, so im more confident on the x800pro again. No offense towards the nvidia cards or anything but i would rather have an ati again, and im sure the 6800gts are good cards.

Another question i have is which games use either dx9 or open gl. I play farcry, doom3, ut2004, and call of duty. so if anyone could tell me which games use what that would be awesome.

i love my x800 pro. soon to be a xtpe. i can easily get up to xtpe speeds and beyond on it, with NO change in heat output ^_^. that and i can get 333 fps on some high-end graphics games! *no lie*

i really love mine. I have one that came with an ati silencer on it. idle is at 29C, 25C on a cold night. load is about 8C higher. I've used mine in two boards, both of them (3.0C, 3.4EE) have gotten 10,500-10,800 3dmarks right off the bat with no overclocking. So far I really love it and it has been good to me.

Jacobman said:
I see, so im more confident on the x800pro again. No offense towards the nvidia cards or anything but i would rather have an ati again, and im sure the 6800gts are good cards.

Another question i have is which games use either dx9 or open gl. I play farcry, doom3, ut2004, and call of duty. so if anyone could tell me which games use what that would be awesome.

FarCry, UT2k4 == DX9
Doom3, COD == OGL

Back