• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW x800pro/xt/xtpe 600gt/Ultra review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
while the refiew has some clearly marked typos and a few things need to be changed...
it was some good reading to pass the time anyway.

mica

Finally a review with the high-end cards using newer drivers. Took a while for one to show up.
Interesting to see that many games are essentially CPU-limited, showing no or minute performance differences up to all but the highest resolutions.

Very interesting valve stress-test results. At the max settings, the XT's pass up the Ultra by about 15% (did i do my math right?), whereas the X800PRO falls behind the GT, even with AA and AF on :O

The benchmarks on this site show the Saphire being close to the performance to the Xt-Pe when at stock and nearly identical when Oced all for $50 less than the Xt-Pe Ati.

If Mica (being the guy who finds all the flaws in the benchmarks hehehe) can come to a conclusion that its not a hoax then for $450 with 2 games and Vivo capabilities, I may have found the card of my dreams.

What do you say? BTW... who is selling this card for retail price? LOL

OBLIVIONLORD said:
The benchmarks on this site show the Saphire being close to the performance to the Xt-Pe when at stock and nearly identical when Oced all for $50 less than the Xt-Pe Ati.

If Mica (being the guy who finds all the flaws in the benchmarks hehehe) can come to a conclusion that its not a hoax then for $450 with 2 games and Vivo capabilities, I may have found the card of my dreams.

What do you say? BTW... who is selling this card for retail price? LOL

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/sapphire/x800xt/

I hope this helps.

mica

I'm not sure if anyone notice, but most of the benchmark they ran, are base of Direct3D engine. Of course, we all know that ATI will definitely lead in this match up. So, technically speaking, it is not a really fair comparision. However, the Nvidia did a pretty good job keeping up with them.

As of right now, we are still not sure which engine will be the preferred engine for software developers in the future. This is what I meant in terms of "unfair". Unfair not in terms of how firingsquad test it, but unfair in terms of how we judge it. When I look at those benchmark, Ati has slight lead on Direct3D benchmark, while Nvidia blows ATI away in OpenGL benchmark (Doom 3). As we all know that the 6800ultra is in direct competition with the X800 XT, which the X800XTPE is a higher end card. When we compare the results, we should pit the X800XT to the 6800Ultra.

Personally, I feel that Nvidia is better in this case. The reason being that if Direct3D is the preferred engine in software development, ATI only has a slight lead. If OpenGL is the preferred engine, ATI will have a long way to catch up.

Both companies have great products, but I just feel it will be a safer bet to go with Nvidia.

I highly doubt OpenGl will suddenly gain more usage since Direct3d just has the upperhand right now.

Looks like I'll be forced to wait till mid October till I can get the XT, Xt-Pe or 6800U for that matter as retail version being sold at retail price. Thats if mid October is when they will produce mass amounts of these cards. Hopfully it will be before HL2 release hehe.

Last edited:
right now, I am choosing between the 6800Gt and the X800XT PE. The 6800Gt is a very good performer and most of them have no problem running at Ultra speed. If you really look at the benchmarks, but cards are not trailing too far behind each other anyway.

A friend of mine may be able to help me get a ATI X800XT PE for around $450 after tax. If not, I will just go with the 6800Gt. Prices for the 6800GT are going down. right now outpost is selling both the X800pro and the 6800GT for $350.

will keep you guys updated.

Its still a 50/50 chance if you can achieve Ultra speeds with the GT. If you cant then you'll be stuck near stock speed and youll be way below the Xt-Pe in Direct3D performance compared to the Ultra version. I personaly like to be guaranteed the performance I want rather than chancing it although with the Xt version its almost a guarante to achieve the Xt-Pe performance which I can't say the same for the GT to the Ultra since I see a percentage of people with bad luck.

If there is a site that sells the Ultra for retail price or below then please point me in the direction. Same goes for the Xt/Xt-Pe. Thanks

Kenshiro, while OpenGL prowess isn't a bad thing, Yuriman is right about the current distribution of games (e.g. most use DX). It is indeed possible that this changes in the future, but keep in mind that games take years to develop. By the time the new OpenGL games are out your 6800 or XT will be underpowered anyway.
Another thing about Doom3 is that there have been some comments that pinpoint NVidia's advantage not to OpenGL per se, but to specific routines that ID implemented. If true, that would render the 'futureproof argument' even weaker.

sigh......... no deal. As of right now, there is a back order of around 50 for the X800XT PE.

Well I have the opportunity to get about exactly the cost of either an XT PE or 6800 Ultra 'sponsored'. A powerful videocard will make the best upgrade for my system and I can't justify spending less on it (the money saved would go to waste). The Ultra is in short supply, similar to the PE. Even if it was more available I doudbt that it would entice me with the 2-slot cooling system; my pump is in the way of a couple of PCI slots and it all fits barely without having a dual-barreled videocard taking up more space. And no, I'm not giving up the 201 (aka Praetorian) case for it! ;)

Back