• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S3 drivers messing up XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_biggs

I'm getting a 9800 Pro on Friday, and have a 5900 XT right now. My computer took a dump, so I need to reinstall Windows. We have an old (circa 1999) S3 card. I know nVidia drivers like to hang around and mess with ATI cards, but would it work ok to just use XP's default driver with the S3 card, and switch to the 9800 Pro when it gets here? Or would it kill performance of what the 9800 Pro should be? I want to use my own computer again, but I don't want to wait until Friday unless I would have to reformat it again anyways (and no, I don't want to use anything like Detonator Destroyer or another driver cleaner. I'd rather have a clean install.)

No,the S3 drivers should not cause any problems.
I used to have the onboard S3 prosavage 8 and when I switched to an ATI or Nvidia card I never had a problem.

Edit: Before I typed this I didnt see you second post.Probably typing at the same time.

Last edited:
Back