• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800pro@X800xt Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elchulo

Registered
I have x800@x800xt my temperatures were hitting 70C-75C on Xt speeds so I decided to buy a Zalman ZM80D-HP and installed it on the card and I used Artic Silver 5 on the cards GPU.After installation I turn my computer on and I am getting artifacts all over the screen .I can barely see what I am typing at this time, I would like to know if anyone knows what I could have done wrong when I put the zm80d-hp.My computer doesnt freeze or anything I was able to go to ati tool and turn down the clocks but the problem still happening I dont think I will be able to reflash back to pro I can barely see somethings on the screen?

Mr Slabi said:
try to score a pci video card from someone and flash that bios back to stock...make sure the card is ok.
Thats usually a sign of a dead card. Possibly a chipped core. Flash back and make sure it isnt dead :( I would highly advise you to *CEASE* everything until you get that fixed. You dont want to destroy your new $400 toy.

Artifracts are NOT good. I honestally hope it isnt dead. But with all likely hood you could have chipped the core making those artifracts permenant since the core is now destroyed.

Or (hopefully) it is seated improperly and it is just overheating. If that is the case its still salvageable, however if the core is dead, you are sadly S-O-L.

just a question to anyone who knows
does arctic silver compound conduct electricity?

Good point Medo....I hadn't even thought of that.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is conductive. Maybe too much was applied. There are so many horror stories and topics about proper application of A/S that I never even thought it a possible cause.

Sounds like a clean up is in order!

what would be the best way to clean it up
cuz there is a bunch of micro resistors (i think) around the core, so if some of the A/S landed ontop of one it might be short circuting and therefore not getting the propper amount of voltage

this is one of the reason I don't like flashing.

You should have use radlinker to OC first and check if it is ok for you to run at XT speed. If it is fine, then you flash it. If you have minor oc and screwed the card up, be honest with the manufacturer and they will usually allow you to RMA your card.

Good luck to you.

just searched this out on A/S website...

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

As for cleaning:

Removal Instructions (From Hardware)
1. Arctic Silver thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools. For general clean-up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach.
The recommended cleaners are:

CPU Core:
Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing.
Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants.
(If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)

Heatsink:
Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.), mineral spiritsm or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.

Try resetting it i have had the happen with my 9800pro.....also the mem oc migh be to high....set it lower then restart that should help...set it back to stock pro speeds...if that dosn't work then as said get a PCI card and flash back to stock bios....

the problem is with the core.. mine did that at first when I tried to run it at stock XT speeds. Soon as I did the volt mod to bump the voltage up.. it ran perfectly fine with no more artifacts. Let me explain what happened with my card I modded.

Got a built by ATI x800pro with VIVO. Stock speeds of 475/450, ran with no problems.
Flashed to 16 pipes and default at 520/560.

Ran fine at first it seemed on the desktop but then sometimes, I would get really BAD artifacting on everything. If I restarted, it would be fine for a bit then after being on for a few it would artifact again at the desktop. My temps weren't even high. I used ATI tool and made the fan blow at 100% and my temps were like 32C for core and 30C for memory. Yet, I was artifacting.

I then throttled down the core speed to 475 and bamm! No more artifacting. It was all gone. Slowly I started increasing speeds and when I pushed passed 500, anything 3d would artifact and sometimes 2d would start looking like it was tripping on LSD.

Was about to return the card, but found out about the volt mod and that the card might need to be on a dedicated line coming out of the power supply. So I put the card on a dedicated line out of the power supply and instantly the 2D WIERD LSD tripping style artifacts stopped. It would still artifact in any 3D application with a core of 500+. Then I did the volt mod. Talk about a HUGE difference. I was running at 1.51 volts off my multimeter, and I am able to push the core to 575 now before it starts artifacting. The trade off? heat, especially since I'm using stock cooling.

Well, I removed the HS, put some custom heatsinks on my ram, used some artic silver 5 for the GPU HSF and artic silver epoxy for the ram sinks. Got a bit of a drop. Put the core at 550. Got a huge drop again.

Now I have an idle temp of 42C and a load of 75C. Perfectly acceptable temps. I was able to push my memory well beyond stock PE speeds of 560 with the inclusion of some nice big ram sinks and the artic silver. That and I have active cooling hitting all sides of the card LOL. I have for fans on it the stock GPU fan on the front, a mounted fan on the back for the ram on the back of the card, a 120mm case fan blowing right on top of it, and rotron comair major blowing a ton of air to the side from the front intake of the case.

So my suggestions... do the volt mod and make sure the card is running off a dedicated line coming out of the power supply. Hook nothing else up to that line. No fans, no hard drives, no optical drives... nothing.

well,
sad news

his card freid last night
we tried cleaning off the a/s where it wasnt supposed to be and same result artifacts everywhere then he tried putting it in one of his old PCs which the motherboard is broken since he decided to flip the switch in the back of the psu from 60Hz to 50Hz. Well once he tried booting it, no image (monitor not turning on). Tried putting it back into the comp it was in and same result, so i believe his old PC's mobo fried the card. He did have it pencil modded at 1.5v and he also had a dedicated line and the card was able to do the speeds with the stock heatsink. He just wanted to lower the temps with the new heatsink. I wonder what went wrong before it got fried?

i've had corruption in windows many times, but i've never left it running for long enough to actually post on a forum!

i would have shut dow RIGHT away, as soon as i saw that, and reseated the heatsink.

probably would have saved the card. :(

sorry for the loss if it is indeed dead.

Back