• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ad for an ET server I'm affiliated with.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

I don't do this often... in fact, this would be the first time, actually...

I'm a mid-level admin at an Enemy Territory server named Goat's Bar and Grill. ( www.goatsbarandgrill.com )

(If you don't know what Enemy Territory is, first of all, It's ** FREE ** for public use - an objective based team FPS using the Q3 engine, derived from RTCW. It's a little old, but it's still a great game. And free is attractive. ;) )

It's a great server, with a great base of regular players, and lots of visitors.

I feel pretty comfortable putting this here, because this forum has rules, some of which are pretty strict. Well, so does our server - no cursing, no insulting other players, no racism, etc. It makes for a great play experience when all you do is PLAY, and not argue with people, like you can on the average pub. We have loads of admins to keep the server clean and fun for all, and we have loads of players of varying degrees of skill, meaning you'll either be able to find someone to kill, or be able to find someone to challenge you.

If you've never tried an online FPS, this is a great starting point, we're newbie friendly. If you're a jaded experienced player, it's a great server because of the variety of players you'll find. (there are some unstoppable cyborg killers in the roster, let me tell you.)

Punkbuster enabled, running Shrub, with a constantly changing map rotation. We love new maps, and we get them in droves. It's also XP save.

If you can control your temper, not curse, and not insult other players, and not whine, then you need to check it out. :)

www.goatsbarandgrill.com (check out the code of conduct, it's integral.)
server: 69.31.6.147

To play, you'll need the enemy territory client, patched to 1.02, which you can find via google. You may also want to hit the server website ^ and find the map rotation, and download those maps from etmaps.de, although the server does support 300kb/s map downloads.

i remember playing this... but i can't recall if you need rtcw to install?

speaking of rules, would this be considered advertising? :shrug: thanks for the info i may just come and give it a shot.

As far as whether this is advertising or not -

The owner of the server accepts donations, but they're not required to play.

Furthermore, I don't get any of them. :p I just thought there may be some quality players in the userbase here, so I shared the existence of the server with all of you.

And please do come check it out, it's a great server.

Hey I like the software that runs your site ^.^

I should stop by and check it out sometime, I know if Rottys is around he dig's ET maybe he could hook me up with some tips and tricks, another good spot to post this up is the Sister Site to OC www.overclockedgamerz.com

J :cool:

I'll come check it out... and I'll bring a few friends.
The server I've been playing on for many months has been stuck with the stock map rotation and I've gotten so sick of it that I basically quit a few weeks ago. I also prefer shrub over etpro, so that is a bonus.

Heh, I swear I end up downloading a new map every 1 or 2 days at Goat's. We have some stock favorites that never seem to leave the rotation, like Temple 3, Stalingrad, a few more, but most of the slots are revolving constantly.

And, anyone else seeing this thread - it's free! Come play!

free, how can i lose :clap:

sounds like a lot of fun maybe all try, granted i have to get my comp up and running agian though :shakes fist at stupid broken harddirive:

new_novice said:
what's the diff between shrub and etpro?

Feature set, mostly. Splash Damage released the source to certain people who expressed an interest in modding the game. Ryan Mannion (Shrub) released ShrubMod, while Bani released ETPro. Another person named Demoman is releasing a mod called RTCWMod which also looks great.

Shrub is mostly a fun mod that fits well on public servers, while ETPro is more business and better suited for competition and hard-core servers.

Shrub is no longer being updated, however, while ETPro is still in development with new releases coming out on a regular basis. (And fixes for problems that Shrub doesn't address.)

I would glady come and play on that server BUT everytime I start playing ET it crashes on me even though I update my drivers, etc. and I've given up by this point.

Tatuya said:
I would glady come and play on that server BUT everytime I start playing ET it crashes on me even though I update my drivers, etc. and I've given up by this point.

What exactly happens when the game crashes? Any error messages?

There was a conflict between punkbuster and certain nVidia driver revisions that caused something like that. Both nForce2 and GeForce drivers, if I recall. You can try looking in your pb folder for 'pbweb.exe' and running that to manually update punkbuster, and also trying a newer driver set for your mb.

And yes, there is a TS server, but it's passworded. You must ask one of the admins in game or at the site for entry. (too many problems to leave it totally public. :( )

I have played on your server many times as "Samurai Jack".

I can't remember that well because I play on so many different servers. (or used to because I have not played in a while.) If my memory serves me, you guys booted me a few times for killing people NEAR the spawn with the Mortar and Field Ops air raid.

How lame is that? Is there some sort of line that I am not allowed to attack people? Next time I go to Iraq I'm going to tell the terrorists that "Hey! You can't shoot at me yet until I leave the base for 5 minutes."

If I confused you guys with another lame carebear server then I'm sorry.

TommyHolly said:
I have played on your server many times as "Samurai Jack".

I can't remember that well because I play on so many different servers. (or used to because I have not played in a while.) If my memory serves me, you guys booted me a few times for killing people NEAR the spawn with the Mortar and Field Ops air raid.

How lame is that? Is there some sort of line that I am not allowed to attack people? Next time I go to Iraq I'm going to tell the terrorists that "Hey! You can't shoot at me yet until I leave the base for 5 minutes."

If I confused you guys with another lame carebear server then I'm sorry.

Haha, nice. It boils down to rules, basically, and you not following them.

Ideally, when people are booted for not following rules, we want them to come back and follow the rules, and have fun. (Although I'm on a different server now, some drama unfolded recently.)

Anyway, I'll throw your Iraq analogy back at you. Next time you go to Iraq, disregard the Rules of Engagement you're given, and the Geneva convention. I have an idea, re-open Abu Ghraib and break all the rules regarding handling and care of prisoners of war.

I don't know what else to say - the server has explicit rules, they flash on the screen, you're expected to follow them. Some of the most hardcore cyborg-killer clanners I have ever seen play on the server regularly, outkill everyone there, and they don't have a problem with following rules. Why do you?

Anyway, to the rest of you - I left the Bar and Grill after the owner did some hurtful things to a few members of the core admin/playerbase, a few of which have donated personally over $1000. Some of them started a new server with the same ruleset (play nice, have fun, don't ruin other people's play experience, basically) and it's going really well.

69.31.6.47 for the new server, www.matrixlair.com/forum/ for the forum.

Just to set things straight, I was following the rules. I never attacked the spawn directly. I would bomb every bottleneck and exit leavin the spawn. People start whining they can't get out of the spawn to the action and then, "pop" I'm gone and banned. (Even though I never went near the spawn.)

Examples: I'll bomb the city wall area or the well in Goldrush. The wall is far away from the spawn but it's the only way to get past if the tunnel is blocked/well guarded.

I'll bomb the hell out of the beach/ramp area in "Battery". To get past the skill timer, (You guys made it so you respawn with 0 skill if you kill yourself), I would let nOOb snipers on the beach kill me on purpose, thus letting me come back with full power. Again, I was booted and banned.

Same goes for "Frostbite" or whatever the winter map was called... I would stop the tank with air raids. Snipers/Panzers would shoot me, I respawn full power, more bombs...

I always follow the rules. However, on servers like these there are 'unwritten rules' where if you use the weakness or lack of intelligence of some of the nOObs, you get booted when people start whining. That's why lately when I play, I usually end up on the SS servers. Those guys are the kings of taking advantage of every litte mistake that you can make.

I looked up the rules on the new server you play on. They seem pretty good. I hate when people start screaming, yelling, and swearing...so annoying. Good to see you guys boot them for that. I don't see any rules against "trick-jumping" which means that people can jump over the walls and cut games short.

Back