• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Porr newbie getting lost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shady_cb

I am just try to break into the Graphics card overclocking and benchmarks,

i got a score of 2430

What can decrease and increase the sorce.

I have a powercolour 9800 pro

completly standard

BUt i do want to get it to somethin special and differant in performance and i suppose even looks.

What benchmark did you use, and you can always get better cooling and oc that a little more, and if you have enough cooling you could volt mods which would allow for higher clocks.

OMst people will say that you should change the stock heat sink before overclocking, and I would agree cause they are always very hot and overclocking will just make it worst, but I overclocked mine until it started artifacting which was 430/380 that was with this one it
040705064256.jpg
, there is also the find the max core/mem functions in ATiTool, you could use that too. and scan for artifacts when your done just to make sure there are no artifacts.

that a bit erm extreme but nice to see, so as long as i put an a VGA cooler and use the find max mem and core i wont blow up my card

lol or is it not that simple

it won't blow up but you should still monitor the process cause there have been times when ATiTool has failed to detect the artifact and cards died, you there is alaways a chance that the card will die it's the price of overclocking but you can improve your chances of that not happening.

Did you get this 9800pro because it was significantly cheaper than the others, like $30 cheaper or more? If so, I fear you have a 128bit 9800pro. Any normal 9800pro should do at least 5k marks. If you're sure you don't have a neutered card, you may check your driver version, or check if _tons_ of other stuff is running while you benchmark (viruses/spyware/etc).

EDIT: he's benching '05, my bad!

Last edited:
LtBlue14 said:
Did you get this 9800pro because it was significantly cheaper than the others, like $30 cheaper or more? If so, I fear you have a 128bit 9800pro. Any normal 9800pro should do at least 5k marks. If you're sure you don't have a neutered card, you may check your driver version, or check if _tons_ of other stuff is running while you benchmark (viruses/spyware/etc).

That would be true if he was benchmarking with 3dmark03, but in 3dmark05 the scores are a lot lower and his is right about where I am.

Don't worry you got the 256bit, your score is just right, it's in 3dmark03 that you should be getting 5000+ scores.

im getting 2,846 right now in 3dmark05 and look in my sig for specs....and in 3dmark03 im getting 6,958.....i wanna break 7,000 this weekend....in 03...and POSSIBLY 3,000 in 05.....just get some better cooling and you will be on your way..l.i had stock and i couldraise it above stock xt levels without artifacts and then i got vga rev 3 and it alowed me to go up to 441 instead of 412....i want more but i think im gunna do the 60 mm fan mod to it......hopefully thatll help...but you should be able to get those scores up a little if you get better cooling but right now your scores are fine....

So u could say better cool stops artifact and by stoppping artifact you stop over heating resulting in saving ur graphics card

So if i was to overclocker my graphics are to a point and got an artifact i should stop there becuase it might blow type thing,

i guessing an artifact it a distortion or summat

I havn't tried the new 3DMark but I slapped the cheap Artic Silencer on my 9800pro and after ATITool was done I had a stable 430/370.

It's a 350 core like yours.

Back