• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red MSI 9800 pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Hello, I've seen most of the cheap sites out there that used to sell the green have either changed the pic to the red one, or still have the pic from the green one up and are shipping the red ones. My question is, does this card have the R360 core and the same chips as the older version, and is it a good overclocker as well?

Dan

there is no gaurantee of an r360 and overlocking always varys from card to card, but i have heard good things about the card you're looking for

The red card (MSI's product name for it is "RX9800PRO-TD128SP") is the same as the green one (MSI's product name for it is "RX9800PRO-TD128"), albeit a little less expensive from most stores for whatever reason. Both have a 256 bit memory interface, 128 megs of RAM, and reports indicate that almost all of these cards have R360 cores and Hynix RAM.

In fact, I haven't heard of anyone who didn't get an R360 core on their MSI 9800 Pro.

The green card has a larger Heatsink than the red one, uses a floppy power connector, and has a slightly different PCB - besides that, there's no difference between the two.

MS-8956-005.jpg

Red card
Click HERE.

MS-8956-030.jpg

Green card
Click HERE.

I think the Green retail version one comes with more bundled software than the red, although I'm not certain. If you go to the links above, from ZZF, there's a link on each page to MSI's detailed product specs.

theres actually a ton of difference between the two, the red one is reference, the green not even close. the red (probably) uses a rage theater chip for tv-out, the green a via chip. the software packs for the two are the same except for the games, in which case the red one gets the nod.

either way, they should both have an r360 core. isnt that all that ati is producing anymore? whether it has an xt pcb is another story, but it probably still has an r360 like every other reference card out there now.

Back