• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idiots at Frye's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mdogs444

So i got into my local Frye's retailer today on my 1 hour lunch break to do a little bit of that "shopping for what i cant afford". Im looking at motherboards just thinking its worth a shot that they have a DFI Lanparty UT (ha, yeah, i know good luck), ok they didnt. This dude there so going on and on about all these motherboards that i dont even care about.

Fryes Dude: This MSI Neo 2 Plat is the best board money can buy, so you should buy it right now!

Me: Yeah ok, too mad i have a 754 dumbass

Frye's Dude: Sell that, get a 939, cuz a 754 is obsolete and you wont be able to get parts for it in 3 months.

Me: Ok dumbass, keep smoking the crack pipe!

Frye's Dude: What do you run then? Think yours is better than a FX-53 like i have? I got mine up to 2.6 Ghz stable!

Me: I have a 3000+ CH, which is running at about 2350 stable. So you can keep your 250MHz and ill keep my 600$. Sound good? Good.

Frye's Dude: Mine will run games like Unreal smooth! Will yours?

Me: Ok. Save it man, now your just sounding dumb. I think my P2 ran that smoothly. Quit reading the sides of boxes trying to make poeple think you know what your talking about.

Frye's Dude: Whatever man, i wont help you anymore

Me: Thank god, your helpless anyway. Bye.

Thats one thing i cant stand. People who know absolutely nothing, and they make it out to be the end of the world!

I guess this isnt targeted at just AMD, but i thought you would all enjoy this!

I get the same thing from dolts at a gas station on my bike. Yeah I had a Ducati 1200 4 cyl and had to sell it after I got a ticket for doing 185. Or my favorite one is at car dealers. Some salesmen really dont know more than what the brochures tell them.

I Relate to that, Had a Fr** salesperson try to sell me something to do with a firewall, and was trying to tell me that with out it someone was still able to hack my system even when the computer was turned off! :confused:
It was tragic that he had no idea!!

Get real!

/end of minor rant

Hah, reminds me of when I tried to pick up a winter job in the computer department of a couple places. I got mostly dirty looks from the people behind the counter as they glanced over my resume, thinking they were better than me, and I was just some punk kid. After not getting hired (or even called), I made a point of testing the apparently overwhelming knowledge and skill already employed. It made me feel better at least.

sales people are supposed to bulls*** you .mainly ,they are not there for their career or geek debate . im guessing frys is like comp usa ?

those are just part time jobs . they are supposed to try to make a sale .
i thought everyone knew this .

what would you gain by argueing with a salesman .it couldnt boost your ego if you missed the point of a buisness man . :)

too true

some weeks back
went to my local frys to pick up an epson printer.
couldnt find any out on the shelfs, so asked the only sales asso. i could find
who happened to be a manager.
she proceeded to insit that the model i was looking for
had been discontinued and that i would have to buy the upgraded model.
more expensive
and insisted that none of her other stores carried the model i was interested in. and no she would not check her computer
after arguing with her that it was onsale @outpost and had been for the last few days.
i decided to just go home and call the other store.
turned out the other store(also a frys)
had 15 of them and they were on sale and not discontinued.
now i dont go to that store because of a very rude and stupid manager.
not sure if the managers are also part time
but sure does seem like it

hehe. I just got home from Fry's and got my DFI Lanparty NForce 3 UT 250. $129.99 and they had about 7 of them on the shelf, all new and no returns at the Sacramento store. I was there last night and it appeared they did not sell a single one as the stack was exactly the same when I went back today and decided to switch over to AMD.

unless they work in isle 13, they are retarded... and even some in hardware dont know what theyre talking about

Visited the F- store again yesterday, looking over the possibilities of another Gigabit switch. found an inexpensive patch panel and was looking it over when an "associate" approached and offered help. I told him I was looking for a good high speed switch, and he proceeded to try and sell me the patch panel as a switch. Man... I am sorry, but I had to walk out on him because I was laughing too hard!! :p

They really have to get better help there.

Its not just at that store, go to compusa/bestbuy or even sometimes a localally owned small pc shop, talk to the people who work thier, you will AWW and laugh in youre head on how stupide some of the people who work thier are. Alot act liek they know alot about pc's but talking to them youcan tell that they know crap.

Heck i know more about computers then alot of the tech's in the back do

ghettocomp said:
They really have to get better help there.

I think it's safe to say Fry's isn't exactly the place for one to advance or build a career on.

I think they require "bad english" for people that work the cashiers....that includes the floor supervisors.

Gotta love that 5-6 station return/exchange area compared to the their 50+ station checkout area along with the 4 or 5 passwords from 3 different supervisors to approve "1" return..... :D

Know what you mean, even though I live in sweden i've experienced the same sort of utter lack of knowledge from sales people in stores as you have, sure it doesn't matter that much these days when you know what to get but it can be irritating when you want to buy something behind the disk and the sales person brings you a completely different thing, you stand there explaining it to them over and over until finally you get what you want. Ordering over the net is such a breeze ;)

^^^^ dont' forget the DNA encoded keys that have to be turned at the same time from two different employees.

honestly though i would rather they just left me alone when i walked in there, its always a headache when they try to sell me stuff that they either dont' know about, or i don't need

True Story.

Walk into the Best Buy I used to work at into the computer department (just looking for some cheap-*** discounted CAT-5E cabling on the clearance rack).

I overhear this lady & her son trying to buy RAM for their PC and they are talking to these 2 employees trying to decide what RAM they want.

Now, these were new employees that I had never met before. Idiot trainees :)

BB Employee #1: You can use this RAM. AzenRAM is high quality and at DDR333, you'll be smoking fast.
Kid: My P4 needs DDR400.
BB Employee #2: No it doesn't. I run DDR333 in mine at home and it works fine.
Kid: You must have a real old P4 then.
BB Emplyoyee #2: Nope. Brand new Pentium 4 Thirty-Hundred C HyperThreaded with a kick *** GeForce FX 5200.
Kid: *Laughs* I don't want the damned RAM. You guy's are clueless. P4's now-adays need Dual-Channel DDR400 minimum to work, considering the FSB is a quad-pumped 200 MHz pathway.
BB Employee #1: Well, if you buy this RAM and it doesn't work, you can return it.
BB Employee #2: I'm 100% positive that this RAM will work in your system and you'll see a huge performance increase going from 512 MB dual-channel to 768 MB dual-channel.
Kid: But you need to install memory in matched pairs to get dual-channel bandwidth on the P4.
BB Employee #2: No you don't. Dual-Channel is over-rated.
Kid: *laughs* and walks out with his mom.

I walked by both of them, who after the customer left, were still yammering about the great AzenRAM and how clueless that kid was (which he really wasn't). Being a fellow Best Buy Employee (at the time), I told them that I witnessed their complete lack of ability to understand basic computer concepts, their inability to address the customer correctly and the total breakdown of their customer interaction methods.

Went and got the store owner, who was none too pleased that these sales associates in HIS store acted like this. They both didn't come back to work after that day. :)

SimGuy said:
True Story.

Walk into the Best Buy I used to work at into the computer department (just looking for some cheap-*** discounted CAT-5E cabling on the clearance rack).

I overhear this lady & her son trying to buy RAM for their PC and they are talking to these 2 employees trying to decide what RAM they want.

Now, these were new employees that I had never met before. Idiot trainees :)

BB Employee #1: You can use this RAM. AzenRAM is high quality and at DDR333, you'll be smoking fast.
Kid: My P4 needs DDR400.
BB Employee #2: No it doesn't. I run DDR333 in mine at home and it works fine.
Kid: You must have a real old P4 then.
BB Emplyoyee #2: Nope. Brand new Pentium 4 Thirty-Hundred C HyperThreaded with a kick *** GeForce FX 5200.
Kid: *Laughs* I don't want the damned RAM. You guy's are clueless. P4's now-adays need Dual-Channel DDR400 minimum to work, considering the FSB is a quad-pumped 200 MHz pathway.
BB Employee #1: Well, if you buy this RAM and it doesn't work, you can return it.
BB Employee #2: I'm 100% positive that this RAM will work in your system and you'll see a huge performance increase going from 512 MB dual-channel to 768 MB dual-channel.
Kid: But you need to install memory in matched pairs to get dual-channel bandwidth on the P4.
BB Employee #2: No you don't. Dual-Channel is over-rated.
Kid: *laughs* and walks out with his mom.

I walked by both of them, who after the customer left, were still yammering about the great AzenRAM and how clueless that kid was (which he really wasn't). Being a fellow Best Buy Employee (at the time), I told them that I witnessed their complete lack of ability to understand basic computer concepts, their inability to address the customer correctly and the total breakdown of their customer interaction methods.

Went and got the store owner, who was none too pleased that these sales associates in HIS store acted like this. They both didn't come back to work after that day. :)
Oh snap. Ima have to get a job at BB now just to get all those punks fired, lol.

Back