• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro/VGA Silencer Rev.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BudJB

Well I just got this thing all hooked up and everything was running fine, but this morning woke up and my computer would not even get to POST. After some investigational work I found it was my vid card (a 9800 Pro). When I attached the Silencer, I tightened the two screws to mount the HSF pretty tight. Could this have caused the damage? I want to rule this out as a possibility but no manuals or anything have mentioned a bit about how tight to screw it on.

Have you taken it off to see if you cracked/dmg the core? I was worried about the same thing when I installed mine but I stopped when the screws started to get tight to screw in. I would check the core and see if it is dmg and install the stock heatsink and see what happens. Did you put and grease on it?

Visually the core was fine. I installed the stock HS and tested it one more time just in case, and still nothing. It's on its way back to newegg for replacement, but I just want to make sure that the tightness of the HSF doesn't mess up the damn card again :/

I'm using the same one............

And it's not for the faint of heart. I've already attached mine twice, and I hope it's the last time. The second time I added as5, and it did bring the temps down from 36-38c, to 32-34c. Considering the screws do have rubber spacers, you can tighten them pretty tight.

Yeah, no kidding. I almost had a heart attack while putting my Silencer on. I was constantly tightening and loosening so that I could get the perfect fit. Just to ask, did you take the spacer from around the core off? I've heard that it can prevent contact with the gpu.

Back