• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc'ing decreases performance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenerd

9600xt

stock 500/300: 3900 3dmark 2k3
510/325: 3600
500/330: 4050.

wtf? why does my points drop so drastically with the middle one?

OC benefits only to a certain point, peformance starts dropping afterwards

Last edited:
urr i'm using ati tool, and the damn thing isn't even stable at core 515 and 300mem. or is there another program to test stability?

to canadian: which brand of 9600xt do you have, and what cooling? cause i tried 530 and 330 and my comp crashed lol

With stock cooling I got my core up to 526, and saw a decent improvment in score. I am waiting for new ramsinks to come in, then the memory will be OCed.

Do you have active or passive cooling on your core? Is anything else on your rig OCed? Is your rig stable(at least 8 hours Prime 95 stable)?

what is fastwrite? i thought i saw it in the bios, if so, then it is at its default settings. yeah, my cpu is oc'ed 2500m @ 2.4 ghz 19hours prime stable. and this is f'd up, i just got another 3600 on 3dmark, but with 500/329! is it cause of atitool or 3dmark

bobmanfoo said:
OC benefits only to a certain point, peformance starts dropping afterwards

That is ONLY true if the hardware starts producing artifacts, if you're getting artifacts while rendering and you're upping the clocks and just getting more artifacts then more time is spent rendering the bits of information that shouldn't be there, so you don't actually complete the scene faster and in turn, end up with a lower score.

i read on toms hardware that turning on fast write can increase performance up to 10%... so wouldn't that counter the point of oci'ing?

- update: i turned fw off in my ati thingy, and i am now able to get 515/330 and 4150 3dmarks

Last edited:
Let me try. I'll have results in a bit.

Results: Disabling FW didn't help me at all. I wasn't able to overclock higher, and my score went down.

Last edited:
heh heh yeah, i now realize that fw really does nothing. my clock was still unstable at 515

How many times did u run 3DMark03? you should run all tests in a loop of 3 or more. Its wierd like that.

when i was OCing at stock settings i was getting 200 point higher score than overclocked settings, with just running each test once. then i ran each test 3 times and that gave me a 600point boost with overclocked settings.

Also, if latest ATITool version giving u problems, go back to the older versions, i found out that v22 didnt work on my pc, and v21 worked wery nice (which is kinda funny since alot of ppl were having problems with v21, and were happy with v22). :D

thenerd said:
i read on toms hardware that turning on fast write can increase performance up to 10%... so wouldn't that counter the point of oci'ing?

- update: i turned fw off in my ati thingy, and i am now able to get 515/330 and 4150 3dmarks
FW only helps the older cards like the nVidia MX and TI series

rus said:
How many times did u run 3DMark03? you should run all tests in a loop of 3 or more. Its wierd like that.

when i was OCing at stock settings i was getting 200 point higher score than overclocked settings, with just running each test once. then i ran each test 3 times and that gave me a 600point boost with overclocked settings.

Also, if latest ATITool version giving u problems, go back to the older versions, i found out that v22 didnt work on my pc, and v21 worked wery nice (which is kinda funny since alot of ppl were having problems with v21, and were happy with v22). :D

I really hate it when programs do that, then you have to go back to the old version, if you still haven't deleted it yet, and the list goes on.

hmm yes i am using the new ati tool, and it is giving me problems.

Back