• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Issues. What's my weak link?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbarket

Hey guys,

So, I've finally got my box back together, as stated in my sig (except that one of those 512mb sticks gave up the ghost). My only problem is that my overclock just... sucks.

When I increase things over ~218FSB, it locks hard. It's not always immediate. I managed to turn up the voltage and get things as far as 230 yesterday, but when I left it alone it locked hard. It primes fine at all of these speeds... no issues the entire time it runs, which on occasion has been hours. But then it locks.

I thought this was my PSU, because a lot of these components are reused from a similar setup where I had no problem crossing the 3600 line, but now I have a Geforce 6800 GT in there too... so I replaced it. I have an Antec TruePower 430 in there now, and my rails are about as close to rock solid as they can get, but this hasn't changed things.

I thought it might be the RAM after that, but I've cranked the ratio way down on it with no positive effect. Exact same issue.

Cooling is more than sufficient for this kind of setup. My NB is actively cooled, and my CPU has a big copper Aerocool HT-101 on it. Not the best in the world or anything, but even @ 1.6v I'm at or just under 50C at load.

My PCI/AGP/SRC are all locked.

Any thoughts on what might be slowing me down?

probably is the psu, i hear a lot of bad things about the 430's
could also be heat though so try setting it right on a ac outlet and crank it as cold as you can then see if it helps.

<< CONWAY :)

You know, this might sound wierd. But it may be the 6800. Now whether or not it is because the 6800 is drawing so much power I'm not sure. But I myself had a chip that would do 235 rock solid and ran at that for over a year. About a month ago I mixed in a 6800GT and for some reason my overclock became unstable, and I actually had to back it all the way down to 225. I've been running a Fortron 550 on it, so I don't think the PSU is the problem. I also know of another person that is having problems overclocking their rig since they added in a 6800. Just a thought. Oh yeah, and locking up was the problem that I had with my rig too. Normally every other time that I didn't have a stable overclock on a rig, it would restart itself. This is the first time I have had one that just locked up and froze.

I just noticed that your 6800 is a PNY, I have the exact same one. Did you get yours from CompUSA here in town? Might be the batch.

-Myhre

Back