• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking the 9600xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

football

Now that it is cooling down in oklahoma, it's time to see what I can get out of my cpu and video card.

What should I use to overclock the 9600xt using winme as the OS?

I've tweaked my setting for doom 3, to achieve 78fps @800/600 medium details. This is with a non overclocked 2100+, that has a default speed of 1733mhz. Online play is even more impressive! I'm using Catalyst 4.7 as my drivers, and I get no lockups after 5 hours of continuous doom 3 play...Damn doom 3 rocks the further you advance in the game!

Another thing. What are you getting for scores in 3dmark01 and 03? I will be testing that today as well, and just want to see what I'm shooting for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

football said:
Another thing. What are you getting for scores in 3dmark01 and 03? I will be testing that today as well, and just want to see what I'm shooting for.

On 3dmark2k1 I got 13,999 with a barton @200x11.4.5 cats.One point shy!!!
I think the card was clocked @530/333? Something close to that.

On 2k3 I got 4200+ with the same settings

stratcatprowlin said:
On 3dmark2k1 I got 13,999 with a barton @200x11.4.5 cats.One point shy!!!
I think the card was clocked @530/333? Something close to that.

On 2k3 I got 4200+ with the same settings

And what did you use to overclock the card with? Remeber, I now have a silencer and ramsinks for that same card.:)

Just got thru owning in quake, time to do some overclocking!

I think it is safe to say that the 9600xt stays very cool compaired to other cards. Even at OC speeds I don't get over 53C in doom3. I heard some people get in the 70C range on other cards. I think it is cause the 9600xt's don't pull so much "juice" from the power supply. I use radlinker to OC..

stratcatprowlin said:
I was using Riva Tuner.

I have riva tuner now.

I'm a newbie, and don't like to start slow. I have it set to 550 core (actual 553.3) and 350 memory (actual 351.2). It says my ambient is 36 and my core is 37.5, so I hope this is right. Do I have to set this each time at bootup, or is it automatic? As soon as 3dmark01/03 is downloaded, it will be time to test. What speed should I go for on the core and memory?

dkdgbroyles said:
I think it is safe to say that the 9600xt stays very cool compaired to other cards. Even at OC speeds I don't get over 53C in doom3. I heard some people get in the 70C range on other cards. I think it is cause the 9600xt's don't pull so much "juice" from the power supply. I use radlinker to OC..

I think you have a good point. I don't think I've seen mine reach the 40c mark since I've used the silencer, and that's during game play. But now I will be overclocking, so I can see that coming to and end.

dkdgbroyles said:
I would start at 540/330 first and go up slowly with 5 increments.

core temp is at 37.9 now. do i just exit now? or do i need to do something before closing riva tuner to keep my settings? i'm downloading now, so i hope this stays stable.

football said:
I have riva tuner now.

I'm a newbie, and don't like to start slow. I have it set to 550 core (actual 553.3) and 350 memory (actual 351.2). It says my ambient is 36 and my core is 37.5, so I hope this is right. Do I have to set this each time at bootup, or is it automatic? As soon as 3dmark01/03 is downloaded, it will be time to test. What speed should I go for on the core and memory?

It will boot up with those speeds but make sure you save the settings first.
As far as what to shoot for? I dont know,you already got more out of it than I could haha.

stratcatprowlin said:
As far as what to shoot for? I dont know,you already got more out of it than I could haha.

:D

This is just the beginning bro, I see memory settings in this post that are higher than 700mhz. So I guess I will try for 750 on the memory, and 600 core?

3dmark03 is downloading at 35kbs..... :mad:

stratcatprowlin said:
That Silencer is really something huh? Those speeds would be great.Good luck!

I have my case open and a fan blowing in the case, so I will see what the deal is today with this card.

The Silencer compared to the original heatsink and fan, makes the original seem like a joke. Yes, the silencer looks impressive!

One more hour til this download is done, I cant wait! Wish I could have used a silencer for the 5600U I had, that did 5700U specifications.. :rolleyes:

football said:
Wish I could have used a silencer for the 5600U I had, that did 5700U specifications.. :rolleyes:

Yep,I remember my friend:) Hey you even got a better oc than I could on the second 5600ultra.Remember? Damn,everyone gets a better oc than me.
I'm Jinxed!

stratcatprowlin said:
Yep,I remember my friend:) Hey you even got a better oc than I could on the second 5600ultra.Remember? Damn,everyone gets a better oc than me.
I'm Jinxed!

But only after I modded the original fan. Still, the second one could not come close to the first 5600U....Deeman has that card now, he should really look into a silencer for it.

34 minutes and counting.....Temp on core has dropped a bit to 37.3:)

stratcatprowlin said:
Damn,everyone gets a better oc than me.
I'm Jinxed!

Although we don't talk as much as we use to, I still consider you a dear friend. I just took a pic of your ex in action, enjoy my friend. :santa:

DSCF231.jpg

stratcatprowlin said:
Will the Silencer fit my 4200? I know I can get more out of the core.

I think there is a silencer for all the cards now, and rev2 might be the one for the 4200.

OK, did four test.

System settings are as follows.....AMD 2100+@1726 (I have to get a faster cpu), ati catalyst 4.7, winme, 1g pc2700 ram running in dual mode.

1.core 550 mem350 3dmark03 3670
2.core 560 mem360 3dmark03 4098 (artifacs)
3.core 580 mem344 3dmark03 4207

Now the thing is, it will not let me save this online? It always says "submission failed" wtf?

I will reboot and set core to 600, why not?

If anyone has something faster than a 2100 cpu, lmk? 1726mhz is driving me crazy!

Back