• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good gpu stress test programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawtrawkr

ive been playing with my 6800gt and i can get it to pass all the driver tests and set its clock to 444/1150 i can then play doom3 for hours, run all the 3dmarks without any problems or artifacts, run rthdribl for at least 4 hours, and play every game i have on my comp atm (which is alot of recent releases in past couple months) and everythign runs just great...... well until i load richard burns rally. this game crashes on me over and over when i go through a test run on any of the lvls and for the life of me i cant understand whats so magical about this game.

i take it to mean when the screen all of a sudden turns to alot of checkerboard colors red/green/blues and whatnot and you cant make out any resemblance to the game it just totally takes over the screen and i have to manually reboot that it falls in the unstable oc category but it plays everything and i mean everything else just fine without so much as a single artifact/tare

my tems range on core from 48c idle to 72c full load after hours of playing doom3 1600x1200 and 4xaa 8xaf hq details. and 28c ambient to 36c full load.

i dont think the temps are a problem so much because i saw them go alot higher than that before i put my silencer on and never had a problem like this.

basicly what im wondering is what other good programs besides the 3dmarks looping and rthdribl can i use to try to find a unstable oc on my gpu/vram

or maybe some info on what im doing wrong here ive also turned off fastwrites in bios but havent turned off sideband addressing yet (not sure if that would help here or not)

that might be a driver issue, if you can loop 3dmark and play d3 for hours, you should be good everywhere else

hawtrawkr said:
[...]until i load richard burns rally. this game crashes on me over and over when i go through a test run on any of the lvls and for the life of me i cant understand whats so magical about this game.
Just check out if it runs without a problem when you don't overclock. That way you can make sure it is the game to blame (or a driver issue like Aphex_Tom_9 mentioned) and not your overclocked videocard.
That's the way I normally do it :)

TR_B said:
Just check out if it runs without a problem when you don't overclock. That way you can make sure it is the game to blame (or a driver issue like Aphex_Tom_9 mentioned) and not your overclocked videocard.
That's the way I normally do it :)

i know its the overclock already is the thing though.

im wondering what programs are good for determining that my overclock wasnt stable if it werent for the fact that i happen to have richard burns rally i would have thought i had a 100% rock stable oc on my gpu.

the programs i usually run to test gpu overclock are all the 3dmarks aquamark and rthdribl with all the games ive been playing here lately (doom 3, vice city, planetside, madden 2005, full spectrum warrior, joint ops, wh40k dawn of war and call of duty they all run fine for multi hour game sessions but richard burns rally crashs usually within 2 to 3 minutes of a course.

i was just kinda curious what other people have been using to test their oc on gpu/vram aside from just playing games and having it crash on them (something i can run when i go to bed and wake up and see if it did ok or crashed kinda thing.)

hawtrawkr said:
[...]i was just kinda curious what other people have been using to test their oc on gpu/vram aside from just playing games and having it crash on them (something i can run when i go to bed and wake up and see if it did ok or crashed kinda thing.)

That is one thing I'd never do: going to bed / let my pc alone to check out later on if it crashed or not, but that is just me.

When I overclock I run 3dmark 2003/(5 now also) a couple of times to see if I can track down artifacts and if that runs fine 'n dandy I just leave it overclocked. After that, if only one game, and one game only, crashes on me (when it normally shouldn't!) I know I have to lower my overclock and start all over again. It's all that simple for me :)

Back