• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which bga ramsinks are the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you have a lot of air movement over them then i would say the bga coppers from ocz. if not a lot of case air blowing on the card go with the aluminum.
i just lapped my ocz bga coppers today to a almost mirror finish to install on my ocz booster. you got to hand it to ocz for really being the cutting edge of tech.
great ideas come outta that place.
dont use the superglue in four corners method to attach them also.

The Copper OCZ ones are very nice little sinks, the fins are the perfect length and width.

I wouldn't use the crummy thermal tape that comes with them though, it foesn;t work too well. Arctic Alumina Epoxy is your best bet for attaching them, the stuff isn't conductive, and is inexpensive.

i have a huge amount of airflow over the agp slot because my heatercore is in the bottom front of my case.

i WILL be using the supplied thermal tape beacuse i am not willing to void the waranty of my x800 just yet.

In this case is it better to go with the aluminum because they will be a lot lighter? does the thermal tape work well for the sinks on the bottom of the card, or does gravity pull them off?

anyone who has experience with the thermal tape please post how well they actually "tape" the sinks to the bga chips.

thanks for the replies!

EDIT: found this;

"OCZ BGA Ramsinks use an extremely strong thermal tape, so if you decide to remove the ramsinks please use caution and do so very slowly as to avoid any potential damage of your video card."

HMM.. seems like it will be strong enough, but still post feedback please :)

yes it is sticky thats for sure. i think there is a solution you can make that can be removed with heat.
but for sure go with the coppers

awesome! will go with copper for sure then.

now, if anyone has any other preferences for ramsinks please let me know. as it stands i will order the ocz copper ones soon, but if anyone has any reasons i should get different ones i would appreciate your opinion.

thanks guys :clap:

also, i wouldn't mind ramsinks that are larger in height, unless of course it doesn't get much better than these?

oc613 said:
awesome! will go with copper for sure then.

now, if anyone has any other preferences for ramsinks please let me know. as it stands i will order the ocz copper ones soon, but if anyone has any reasons i should get different ones i would appreciate your opinion.

thanks guys :clap:

also, i wouldn't mind ramsinks that are larger in height, unless of course it doesn't get much better than these?

I have the aluminum ones attached with thermal tape, I will let you know in a few what they can do. I'm like you. I can't see putting paste on my card and voiding the warranty for a few degrees lower on temps, just can't do it.
But it seems that I've already surpassed what the original owner could overclock the memory to, and I think it's just the beginning. I don't think you would go wrong choosing any of those, but copper would be my first choice.

now those are huge sinks! :eek:

any clearance issues on the x800? i know they won't get that much contact on the front due to the HSF covering some of the ram chips, but are there any raised portions in the effective 20 x 20 mm base area of the sinks? my x800 pro should be here anyday, perhaps it would be wise to wait and size them up.

thanks for th links though, keep 'em coming!

:clap:

oc613 said:
now those are huge sinks! :eek:

any clearance issues on the x800? i know they won't get that much contact on the front due to the HSF covering some of the ram chips, but are there any raised portions in the effective 20 x 20 mm base area of the sinks? my x800 pro should be here anyday, perhaps it would be wise to wait and size them up.

thanks for th links though, keep 'em coming!

:clap:
you won't be able to attach any ramsinks with the stock cooling on the x800, you might as well got with the ati4 silencer, which cools the ram as well

i bought the ramsinks the guy in the classifieds is selling, they fit perfecto on the back side of my card, but i had to dremel down the top alittle to fit under my rev3 silencer!!

cheap too!

bobmanfoo said:
you won't be able to attach any ramsinks with the stock cooling on the x800, you might as well got with the ati4 silencer, which cools the ram as well

you mean i won't be able to on the front? or on the front and the back?

i was hoping to fit them like 50/50 on/off the chips on the front, would that not work? :bang head i'm not really looking to beef up the cooling on the core as it will add quite a bit of cost to my bargain ~340$ x800pro.

There really isn't any issue with the thermal tape being weak, and causing your RAMsinks to fall off - it works quite well at holding the sinks on there :)

The main thing is that thermal tape is a terrible heat-conductor compared to proper thermal epoxy. But I do see your point about the warranty, it's good to think ahead.

It's also unlikely that using epoxy would warrant much of a gain over tape anyways.

oc613 said:
you mean i won't be able to on the front? or on the front and the back?

i was hoping to fit them like 50/50 on/off the chips on the front, would that not work? :bang head i'm not really looking to beef up the cooling on the core as it will add quite a bit of cost to my bargain ~340$ x800pro.

well you could do that, but would you really want to cool ur ram unevenly? dunno about cooling only half of each of the 4 chips on the front, imagine cooling only half of ur cpu core. on top of that the ram on front will be hotter than the ones on the back. by the way, when i put ramsinks on my x800 w/ rev3 silencer, i gained a whopping 0mhz increase

Last edited:
bobmanfoo said:
well you could do that, but would you really want to cool ur ram unevenly? dunno about cooling only half of each of the 4 chips on the front, imagine cooling only half of ur cpu core. on top of that the ram on front will be hotter than the ones on the back. by the way, when i put ramsinks on my x800 w/ rev3 silencer, i gained a whopping 0mhz increase

very good point about only cooling half of them. i'm not really looking for a mhz increase on the ram clocks more than i just want to feel confident that at overclocked speeds the temps weren't too high so my card doesn't burn out in a couple years (i'm still using my 8500le, to give you an idea of how long i keep cards)

i think even if they are only 50% covered on the front it will still keep the temps down on the chips substantially, but then again i could easily be wrong.

thanks for the replies guys, but i've decided to hold off on the ramsinks for a while. i might just dermel up my own from old heatsinks if i could find a decent place to buy 3m frag tape in canada. the only place i found is 10$ for a small 6 inch strip :mad:

thanks again.

Back