• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting AGP aperture size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In the Bios, most motherboards have a setting that can be changed from 16MB to 256MB. With a card that has 256 MB of on board DDR, 64 is probably all you'll need. The only time that's not enough is when the 32-bit chunks of graphical data, rather than ATi's 24-bit, overwhelms the on-board memory and has to be pushed to system memory. While nVidia cards usually require a larger apeture size than ATi's, 64 is probably enough.

yeah.. i had the same question.. you can see my whole specs below. i guess if 64 is a good enough AAS for his system.. its good enough for me. I had it set at 256, but i guess i'll turn it down.

I have a 128MBATi Radeon 9000 Pro and 64mb works fine for me. I might even go lower. With your 256MB card, I wouldn't think you would need an AGP aperature higher than 64MB. :cool:

the more memory you have onboard, the smaller your apeture needs to be. if you only have 128 MB on video memory, 128 may be a good idea. try different sizes and running something like 3dmark to see what gives you the best results.

@md0Cer said:
I have a 128MBATi Radeon 9000 Pro and 64mb works fine for me. I might even go lower. With your 256MB card, I wouldn't think you would need an AGP aperature higher than 64MB. :cool:

Anything lower than 64 will disable AGP altogether If I remember correctly.
It could be 32 but I think it's 64.

I dont go by that.If you have 512mb's of system memory,that takes half of it away for video textures that the 256mb 6800gt already has.If you have less than 512mb's it leaves you with virtually nothing for system ram.I wouldnt go higher than 128 on the aperture.

That makes sense. Also I just put in doom 3 and it won't play good all the way up. It wants to go to 600x800 and not ultra...Maybe I'll go turn down the agp spec.

you'll never be able to set your aperture big enough for doom 3. at least not in this generation of hardware. there is simply too much texturing and shader stuff to be stored on memory, that even 512 mb with 512 on board ram probably couldn't run it at full settings with 16x AF and 8x AA. that'd take SLI.

Woozy said:
I have 6800GT aperture is only set at 64 was wondering if you can change this.

64 seems to be a good setting for the fast boards. It doesn't get used i'm sure. I disabled fast writes which many people suggest. Doom 3 is playing well now on my 6800 gt. I'm getting a copy of 3Dmark 03 today to check it out. Also I don't know if AGP 4 instead of 8 makes that much difference. Does anyone know?? Alls I have is 4 on my old board. :)

With the newer cards having 256m of ram the 8X AGP setting is starting to show up in faster load times between levels in games like Doom and FarCry....

...thanks all, just surfing through the thread, I have an ASUS V9520/TD(yeah, cheap fix till I get a new system, smokes my old Voodoo 3000), which was still running on my old BIOS settings for my Voodoo. I just set the aperture size to 64meg, disabled fast writes, and got a 30FPS boost in my two favourite games...

...there's so much info to be found in these forums, even when yur not lookin for it. The OC Forums rock!!!... :beer:

Back