• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connecting wireless and wired network segments, windows bridging doesn't work for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atconc

Registered
connecting wireless and wired network segments, windows bridging doesn't work for me

I'm living in a shared house where we have a linksys WAG54G wireless router. I connect to the internet through this router using a netgear wireless card in my main pc. I also have a wired lan within my room that connects my pc to a 5 port swich with my xbox and 2nd pc on.

I want to be able to allow my 2nd pc internet access and for it to be accessable to my housemates over the network. The wireless card is on the ip range 192.168.1.x and the wired lan is on 192.168.0.x. Is there some way for me to get the router to send traffic for the 192.168.0.x range to my wireless card and to get windows to direct to the right place? I think i need to set up some kind of static route in the linksys router, but i'm not sure how to get windows to route the traffic between the two cards.

Any help greatly appreciated

p.s. the router is too far away for me to easily run a cable from the switch to the router.

SevenSixTwo said:
Want good, but unlreated advice? Get a hardware access point and stick it on your room's wired LAN. You will have nothing but trouble trying to do this with Windows.

Thanks, I'll consider doing that when I get my next paycheck, would that act like a bridge between the two networks? That would be my ideal.

I have actually managed to get it working to an extent

I set

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\IPEnable router

to 1, which enables ip routing between the 2 cards in my main box. Then set a static route in the router pointing all traffic for the wired segment to the ip of my wireless card.

This lets the IP traffic through but windows filesharing doesn't work :(

Thanks for the reply

Back