• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro/xt vs x700 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrSlinky

I'm contemplating upgrading my video card in the next month or so. Currently I'm using a 9600xt. I'm wondering if it'll be worth waiting for the x700 cards to hit the shelves, or better to just get a 9800pro/xt card instead. I'm most likely looking to get an AGP card, as PCI-X would demand I build a whole new system. Opinions?

I'd go for the 9800pro and flash to xt.... I'm not sure yet if the x700 will be agp. If it does come out for agp, then I'd base the purchase on price as they should be about the same in performance.

Right now 9800 Pros are pretty much the best Bang/Buck card you can get. Most of the newer cards have an XT core, an XT PCB, and a temperature sensor, and can be easily flashed with an XT BIOS.

These cards scale up very nicely with some good cooling and airflow, and will probably be good for gaming for a year or two yet.

For $200 from newegg you can't really lose - X700s will likely be more espensive when released, and PCI Express only.

Back