• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Specs for a friends system - all i need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ConquereR

I am building my friend a system. All he wants it for is to watch things from his computer on his widescreen tv. He doesnt want to play games. I need to know if im getting the right stuff for what he wants to do. comp -> tv

So far, this is what i have :

Shuttle SN45G
Kingston PC3200 Ram
40GB Maxtor HardDrive
DVD-Rom

Things i need to get :

video card - This is the main piece im not sure of. He wants it to be able to play stuff on his tv at good quality but stay around $140. My first choice is this Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT Will this be good enough?

CPU - i was thinking thisAMD 2700+ would suffice.

sound card (?) - i don't think i need because his speaker setup is 5.1 and i believe the shuttles comes with 6channel?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I ran a smaller 13" TV off my older 9200se. Worked great, just be aware that some programs will not show up on secondary displays when using an ATI card.

However for reference: Power DVD 5 plays fine on my second display.

CPU: You should be fine with a 2700

Sound Card: This to me, is a sketchy area. is your friend an audio nut? Does he/she care about sound quality? If they are very picky, I'd plan on adding an audigy to that list. You can get the non-platinum/gamer ones for around a hundread.

My personal advise, knock the vid card down to say, a 9200 128mb and put the difference towards maybe more HDD space (for movies/music) or towards a sound card.

Really, given the price difference between 60 and 40 gig drives, you would be better off getting a 60..

i agree with 9mm, get a 2500 or 2600 mobile. those process. should be able to run @ 3200 spds, with very minimal voltages. mine runs [email protected]

although you want to keep the proc. stock, if you got a 2600 mobile, it would be fully unlocked and run cooler than the 2700 you have picked out. if your friend isn't gaming, is 170mhz going to make a huge difference if he/she is just watching tv, surfn' the web, word proc. etc? Moreover, you could easily run a 2600 mobile @ 2700 speeds.
just my opinion, but if you insist on keeping everything stock, the 2700 should work fine.
GL!!!

Well, get a barton core regardless. I suggest a desktop 2500 if you arent overclocking, but a mobile would run MUCH cooler. The shuttle would be great, I dont know if you posted it but a leadtech tv card would give video capture ability for cheap.

If he doesnt play games, I would suggest going for a 9550xt, it has the 9600's core, but much lower clocks, so it makes MUCH less heat.

Yea, its a great cpu. The steppings at excaliberpc probably overclock better, but since you wont be doing that, yea.

yesuum. that's the one!!
i totally regret not buying the 2600 mobile...but i'll just have to settle with my 2200 until 64 prices come down a little.
GL!!!

Back