• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 XT vs X800 XT Platinum edition vs 6800 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FnChrisBarr

Registered
I want to buy an x800 xt. I can found the saphire card for $479.00. It was brought to my atention that there are 2 versions of the x800 xt on platinum and one not. The difference is the platinum has faster clock speeds and video in. I don't care about video in. Also all the platinum cards are on back order for a few weeks and I already have the money for a new card. THe platinum cars are an extra $100. Is it worth getting the non pltinum, over the platinum? Can I over clock the non platinum to a platinum with an after market cooler?. How about getting a cheaper 6800 GT? I heard image quality is worse, but performance is increased? What are your thoughts guys?

If the price difference is 100USD then I think the non-platinum has a reasonable advantage in pricing. From what I read, the non-platinum is supposed to be a platinum which for some reason couldn't reach platinum speeds. The non-platinum looks good to me.

As to the x800xt versus the 6800gt, I'd take the x800xt. It has 16 pipes, better iq, and just personal preference (maybe it's cause I have an ATi). Not much I can help though with your decision.

As to the x800xt versus the 6800gt, I'd take the x800xt. It has 16 pipes, better iq, and just personal preference (maybe it's cause I have an ATi). Not much I can help though with your decision.

Ummm the 6800GT also has 16 pipes :rolleyes:

^^^ What he said. nV didn't castrate their 6800GT's like ATi castrated the X800 Pros. The only difference btwn the GT's and the Ultra's is clock speeds. Another bonus w/ the GT: it doesn't require a second molex like the Ultra does.

IMO, either way, x800xt or 6800GT/Ultra, you can't go wrong. All of the new generation flagship cards are amazingly fast.

Maybe so, but if the GT had that second molex, then you could probably OC much higher since the ultras second molex was designed only if you were overclocking.

^^^ What he said. nV didn't castrate their 6800GT's like ATi castrated the X800 Pros. The only difference btwn the GT's and the Ultra's is clock speeds. Another bonus w/ the GT: it doesn't require a second molex like the Ultra does.

IMO, either way, x800xt or 6800GT/Ultra, you can't go wrong. All of the new generation flagship cards are amazingly fast.

Patently false. The ultras have 2 molex connectors and use FASTER ram. Much faster. And also much more expensive. Hence, they can overclock higher then the GT's can. You can overclock a GT most of the time to stock Ultra speeds but you can take an ultra much further then stock. The extra power and better memory make all the difference.

Yes a stock GT > then a stock x800 pro.

He wasn't asking about the pro though but the XT's.

x800 XT > 6800 GT
x800 XT PE >>>>> 6800 GT

Sorry, there is no denying this fact. Every benchmark and game proves this fact. The ONLY game I've seen that the GT performs close to an x800 XT PE at STOCK for both is on doom3. Please don't say something stupid like a 6800 GT when overclock will beat an x800 xt pe... cause an x800 xt pe when overclocked will still whip a 6800 gt overclocked.

Given the choice between a 6800GT and an x800 XT if the price was the same I'd take the ATI card. Normally, the 6800 GT is cheaper and the price for the performance is in favor the 6800 GT, especially when compared to the equivilantly priced x800 pro. Now, if you can get an x800 pro that can be modded to an XT by making it a 16 pipe card vs a 12 pipe card for the same price of a 6800 GT, like I did, then the ATI card is the way to go.

If you don't like the idea of modding or overclocking... well first off why are you reading these forums?? Second get the 6800 GT if money is an object. If money is no object. Get the x800 XT PE.

I have a X800 XT and I can not O/C it to PE speeds even with a Arctic Silencer version 3 and RAM sinks. It's still a good card, but if you want the best and fastest, get the PE version.

DocGiggs said:
Patently false. The ultras have 2 molex connectors and use FASTER ram. Much faster. And also much more expensive. Hence, they can overclock higher then the GT's can. You can overclock a GT most of the time to stock Ultra speeds but you can take an ultra much further then stock. The extra power and better memory make all the difference.

Yes a stock GT > then a stock x800 pro.

He wasn't asking about the pro though but the XT's.

x800 XT > 6800 GT
x800 XT PE >>>>> 6800 GT

Sorry, there is no denying this fact. Every benchmark and game proves this fact. The ONLY game I've seen that the GT performs close to an x800 XT PE at STOCK for both is on doom3. Please don't say something stupid like a 6800 GT when overclock will beat an x800 xt pe... cause an x800 xt pe when overclocked will still whip a 6800 gt overclocked.

Relax. I never compared the 6800 GT to an X800XT. If you can show me where, exactly, I said that a 6800GT will perform on par w/ an X800XT, then I'd love to see it. I only mentioned the pro in this picture b/c it was mentioned earlier when spyd3r eluded that like the X800Pro, the 6800 GT only has 12 pipes, which I corrected.

The ram included on the GT was an oversight on my part, but does it really warrant spending the extra $100/150 for an Ultra??? IMO, the GT is a better deal @ the ~$400 price point. And to me, the single molex in on the card is a bonus. It doesn't warrant a PSU upgrade. Although, if he can get an X800XT (non-PE) for near the same price as the 6800 GT, then you've gotta go w/ the X800XT all the way.

Last edited:
FnChrisBarr said:
I want to buy an x800 xt. I can found the saphire card for $479.00. It was brought to my atention that there are 2 versions of the x800 xt on platinum and one not. The difference is the platinum has faster clock speeds and video in. I don't care about video in. Also all the platinum cards are on back order for a few weeks and I already have the money for a new card. THe platinum cars are an extra $100. Is it worth getting the non pltinum, over the platinum? Can I over clock the non platinum to a platinum with an after market cooler?. How about getting a cheaper 6800 GT? I heard image quality is worse, but performance is increased? What are your thoughts guys?
Hey, not to sound rude but, there are COUNTLESS posts/agruments considering this topic. please read them all. A lot of these discussions can be found throughout this section. Please search before you start a thread such as this.

easy guys..... just some friendly discussion.

To my understand that ATI models goes like this

X800 pro, X800 XT, and X800 XTPE

Nvidia is

6800, 6800GT, 6800 Ultra, 6800 Ultra extreme.

As of right now, I do think that Nvidia has a slight overall lead. I believe the 6800GT is the most popular card now, because about 80-90% (I am guessing here), can hit Ultra spec easily. Personally, I will recommend getting the 6800GT. If you really check all the benchmark out there, they are comparing the X800XTPE version to the 6800 ULtra. This may show that Nvidia cards are slightly better. You won't really go wrong with either cards. Nvidia leads in opengl, while ATI leads in direct3D. Both company's didn't really have a significant lead in each engine. If you like ATI, go to outpost.com (fry's electronic) and they are selling the X800 pro for $329.99. As for Nvidia, get one that comes with a good software bundle. (FREE DOOM 3 or FARCRY)

Even though I like the 6800GT, I have my friend's wife put an order for the X800XTPE for me thru CDW.com. she can get it for $429. However, it is on waiting list. The last I heard, CDW has a backlog over 50 orders when I put mine in. It's a long line there.

Get the best bang for your buck.

YellowDart said:
The ram included on the GT was an oversight on my part, but does it really warrant spending the extra $100/150 for an Ultra??? IMO, the GT is a better deal @ the ~$400 price point. And to me, the single molex in on the card is a bonus. It doesn't warrant a PSU upgrade. Although, if he can get an X800XT (non-PE) for near the same price as the 6800 GT, then you've gotta go w/ the X800XT all the way.

More like $150 - $250 between the GT to Ultra if you count the free Doom 3. Plus Ultra versions are going for at least $599. I agree with you it's not worth to spend that much extra money.

I was faced with a similar dillema with both cards. I opted out for the 6800GT, simply because it was $125 cheaper. Especially since 9/10 6800GTs overclock to atleast Ultra speeds. Which is equal to a x800XT

www.outpost.com has the 6800GT (by BFG) for $350

If the Nvidia team wrote the OpenGL for ATI drivers or Vice Versa with DirectX (Ati) then we could finnaly see an equal match but, since its 1 card that excells in Directx vs 1 card that excells OpenGL then I really can't see how you can really compare them. It's almost the same as comparing a Mac and a Pc.

I would like to add this dicussion by saying (here in Canada at least) BFG 6800's 6800GT OC & the 6800 Ultras are a dime a dozen at Compusmart. But try getting a non-BFG version of this card it is dang near impossible --- Country Wide!

Why is that? It would lead me to believe that the BFG cards are not as good as say Gainward or Leadtek brands?

In my honest opinion (not that you asked.... :D) I would go with the X800XT PE if you can find it. That card will definitely see you through for many many many days to come. ATI drivers are by far less glitchy as of late than Nvidia. Although this can change.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide!

OBLIVIONLORD said:
If the Nvidia team wrote the OpenGL for ATI drivers or Vice Versa with DirectX (Ati) then we could finnaly see an equal match but, since its 1 card that excells in Directx vs 1 card that excells OpenGL then I really can't see how you can really compare them. It's almost the same as comparing a Mac and a Pc.

I woudn't go that far. ;) Although probably just as much smack talking goes on. :p

It would be cool to see some sort of industry standard OGL and D3D engines for each set of achitecture. A standard that would yield equal performance in both. That way, the end user could actually see an apples to apples comparison of the big two. Oh well... we can dream, can't we. ;)

If you go ATI, save yourself some money and get the plain XT. Just got my Sapphire XT non-PE from Newegg today and it's running @ 535/575 stable on the stock cooler :D

Back