• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

audible noise when changing display settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I have an x800pro and I have two profiles in my opengl 3d tab, one for cs and one for doom 3 right now. when I switched between them (when I hit "apply" and "ok") I can hear this little hissing sound for maybe half a second. Enough to hear over some pretty loud fans. Performance is as good as ever. still around 10,700 3D Marks. I haven't had it long and I just realized it. Does anyone have any idea what this sound could be? if people with ati drivers (i'm using cat 4.9 stable) could try changing their settings and then listening while hitting apply I would appreciate it. To isolate some variables I have unplugged my system speaker and headphones. Thanks guys!

I get a noise kind of like that from my monitor when I switch refresh rates or resolution.

I get that...

I always thought I could hear it because I was special... :)

definitely comes from my case. if i had another person i would have them hit apply while I listen. thanks for the post, though.

Quattro said:
I get that...

I always thought I could hear it because I was special... :)

LOL. wow i didn't see this post earlier for some reason. you have an x800 that does it too?! or maybe we have another similar compnent that is responsible?

Last edited:
huh, i dont see how a card could make a noise like that unless the fan was changing speeds. i know the screen can make different noises with diff res's, but the card??

i know quattro has an x800, hopefully he will check back so we can clear this up. it might be that we share another piece of hardware responsible for the noise.

Yeah it started making this annoying high pitched noise once I got my x800.

It does it intermitantly more so from a cold boot, if I display a clear white screen the noise seems louder, I have a dark screen ocforums.com for example the noise dies down or goes completely..

Weird huh?

EDIT: Do you have a big monitor? I know my monitor can make weird noises, it's a 20" NEC.

i've got a 17" NEC LCD. you are hearing this whine from the computer, though, not the monitor, right?

are you guys using DVI?

and quattro's is 20" so probably same deal with him. but would you say the noise is coming from your computer case or right from your monitor?

Mine is a CRT...
I can't tell next time I hear it making the noise I'll turn off my music and listen for it.

Back