• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro, 9800SE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hayabusav15

Registered
hey all. I was just wondering if the pro is better than the SE and if it is, than is the difference really that noticable? srry kinda new to this, so if this is a noobie question excuse me. :)
-Curtis

Yes, there is a huge difference. The Pro has much higher clockspeeds, 256bit memory, and an 8 pipeline core instead of a 4 pipeline one. Huge performance difference.

Pro wins hands down.

ok coo. thnx. oh yeah, and another thing, i think that the sapphire company is coo and reliable but what about the powercolor company? some of their cards sound good and r cheap but i dont know if i can trust 'em. thnx
-Curtis

I'm not complaining about mine, never had a problem and it oc pretty nice in my opinion, by the way some of the 9800se have 256bit mem and can be modded to a pro but that is only possible with 50% of 256bit cards.

yep some of the powercolor are 256bit and some are 128bit( can only be modded into a 9500pro)

But yea, if you get a 9800SE you wont be keeping it at that :) I would say go for the pro, the 256bit memory is pretty much twice the real world performance.

~t0m

hands down the 9800pro is the best bang for you buck right now.... most of the new ones come with the r360 core and xt pcb, which means if you want to flash it to a 9800xt you can with very little effort.

Go with the pro, it's worth to pay the extra money to have a working pro, and besides the se come with slower ram which won't let you oc much, in most cases.

CamH said:
Yes, there is a huge difference. The Pro has much higher clockspeeds, 256bit memory, and an 8 pipeline core instead of a 4 pipeline one. Huge performance difference.

Pro wins hands down.

sorry to correct you but your wrong about the clock speeds on the se's it all depends on the company that you buy it from and also when you buy the 265 bit version the clock speed is the same as the pro.

also the core on the se's are exactly the same as the pro just a little neutered...:D

and some are 128bit( can only be modded into a 9500pro)
albeit at super high speed. (depends what ram, 3.3 3 or 2.8)

Daewood said:
also the core on the se's are exactly the same as the pro just a little neutered...:D
Except that the pipes can be turned back on, what was neutered can't. There are some work arounds if your card artifacts after enabling the pipes but they may or may not work for you.

Back