• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq Presario 700 series notebooks CPU upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has a Compaq Presario 700, were were replacing the top cover on it because it broke off around the hinges, and were somewhat delighted to note that the CPU is socketed on the motherboard. This got us thinking as to whether we might at some time be able to upgrade it.

It currently has a 1200Mhz 35W palomino in it. I immediately thought about the 35W mobile barton XP2400 as a likely replacement. Sucks the same power, should be an easy replacement.....

However, search as I might, I can't find any info about whether the motherboard in these things will run at 266FSB and whether the BIOS is likely to be barton friendly, we wouldn't care if the speed display was wrong or anything, just whether it would work at all would be good to know.

So if anyone knows anything about whether these things will accept a 266FSB processor and work with a barton core, could you drop me some hints.

Thanks in advance,

Road Warrior

My advice....find a place that'll take it back as a return opened, or find smoeone who'll let you test it. usualy those motherboards aren't as robust as desktop boards in thier ability to handle new chips and even BIOS updates for that matter. Also for the FSB issue, I'm almost sure they'll run at 200 FSB or whatever the FSB of the palomino is.

I have the same laptop

It is a AMD Athlon 4 266 FSB 1.0 Ghz Processor. You can put up to a 1.6 in the Computer. Matter of fact I blow up my Cpu and I am useing my wifes CPU and i put my Laptops CPU in my wifes Desktop lol. and she is using it till Tuesday laugh Funny storie anyways. Yes you can upgrade it i am going to try to put a 2600 in it Tuesday and see what that does becus it is a 266 FSb also and around the same Voltage.

Back