• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What on earth is wrong with my 6800gt???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Ok, so having swapped from an x800pro (softmodded as x800xtpe) and saved myself a fortune whilst still having a good card (or so I thought), my xfx 6800gt is giving me nothing but grief. Apart from my 3dmrk03 scores with the 6800gt being nearly 1000points lower than my stock 12pipe x800pro (before I even softmodded it!!), IQ in everything except doom3 is awfull! Farcry looks rubbish, COD just plain sucks on it, and even WarHammer40k-Dawn of War (a 2d game!) looks bad! Iv tried the last 3 official forceware drivers from nvidia, as well as the beta 66.51s and the 66.81s and all have the same results. Even clocked as an ultra (no bios flash, just clocked) it still sucks, and benches way behind my x800xtpe. Here are some screens that best show my problem -
Both these images were taken in Farcry, with res@ 1280x1024 and all game settings set at MAX (inc AA and AF), and with all driver settings set at best quality w/full AA and AF....heres what it looks like -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/Vrykyl/OC_forums/FarCry0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/Vrykyl/OC_forums/FarCry0004.jpg

What the hell is going on? Having just got rid of my x800pro im really beginning to wish I hadnt, and swapping back looks more and more appealing..... :cry:
Thanks

TG

Did you run a driver cleaner utility such as Nasty File Remover (NFR) to completely remove all traces of the previous drivers? I had this problem when i switched. Plus, the 6800's need driver experimentation to see what runs best on your rig. I just upped to the 66.81's and have had good results. I haven't benched them yet but no crashes and all the games I've tried so far have run great.

ur 3dmark03 scores should be higher with the 6800, and lower in 05. did you use driver cleaner? have you tried a fresh install? 66.51s work best for me, no bugs and IQ is better. lower IQ than the x800 is expected, poorer AA is expected as well. oh, changing the IQ setting in the nVidia settings to High Quality vs the default Quality setting will turn off the optimizations will result in a little better IQ. your AA and AF should be set to application controlled if you are using the ingame settings. i noticed that setting AA and AF through the drivers give better performance but decreases IQ a little

i too went from an x800pro to a 6800gt because of the money, and really wish i didn't.

There's the difference in eye candy quality that's been around since ATI started coming out with radeon cards vs nvidia. Looks right to me.

After I switched to the 6800gt i did a completely new reinstall of windows - so its not ati driver left overs - this installs fresh for nvidia!!! Grrr, all my games look cr*p!!!

ah, u'll get used to it, thats how i felt when i first switched too. now i notice i actually play the games more vs touring the game sight seeing and admiring the graphics....... its sad i know

is your score of about 11,500 on your 6800 GT on stock settings? if it is I believe thats where you should be at...if your getting 11,500 with ultra settings then it may be a little low, also for now IQ will be less than ATI cards they have always had the upper hand there, hopefully NVIDIA will have some super drivers soon

I went from a 9700pro to a GT am im disapointed also, the IQ is horrible, farcry is really bad like in ur pics, and on top of all that the Video processor on my card doesnt work. More the nhalf of the people with Gt's thier Vp's dont work also. I expected everything to work whe ni paid $400, im thinking of selling this on ebay and buying a X800pro which ishould have done in the first place instead of listing to others about the Gt

Hmm someone toss in a screenshot of an x800 pro or even a 9700pro like Candyman is saying. I would like to see this drastic difference that is being complained about.

Yeah, same problem. Truth is, my FX5600 had better IQ in FarCry. I heard nVidia is working on a driver fix to clear this mess up. :mad: :rolleyes:

Grrr, I was kinda hoping this time round that nvidia would fixed issues like this before releasing stuff....AGAIN!! They let me down with my 5900ultra, and iv gone and made the same mistake again [me slams head into the wall]

ForlornWS6 said:
is your score of about 11,500 on your 6800 GT on stock settings? if it is I believe thats where you should be at...if your getting 11,500 with ultra settings then it may be a little low, also for now IQ will be less than ATI cards they have always had the upper hand there, hopefully NVIDIA will have some super drivers soon

a LITTLE slow at ultra speeds? haha.

11500 was my stock 6800gt score, when OC'd to ultra speeds my 3dmrk03 score was 12,457. Keep in mind that my old x800pro scored 12,583, and altho above stock wasnt running xtpe scores at the time....as a xtpe it was getting 13,500+!!!!!!!
Having asked around online I now know theres nothing wrong with my gpu at all, its just the way nvidia are at the moment.... :(
Their cards are fast, just not up to my expectations these days

You said it Vyrkryl.... I almost made the same mistake but I'm happy I have my x800pro modded the way I do... it is absolutely rocking the house :) Well, when I used it so far at least.

I went into both farcry and ut2k4 and turned everything up and my jaw dropped. I never had graphics this good or this smooth. I mean never.

The newer drivers do poorly in 3d03. But I will say that those scores look about right, depends on your clocks. My best was 12,652. That was just above Ultra speeds.

People keep forgetting that the x800XT PE, is more like the 6800 Ultra Extreme. Once you get your core speed into the 440-450 range the it will start scoring like an x800XT. However just like the PROs, that takes a voltmod.

Vrykyl said:
11500 was my stock 6800gt score, when OC'd to ultra speeds my 3dmrk03 score was 12,457. Keep in mind that my old x800pro scored 12,583, and altho above stock wasnt running xtpe scores at the time....as a xtpe it was getting 13,500+!!!!!!!
Having asked around online I now know theres nothing wrong with my gpu at all, its just the way nvidia are at the moment.... :(
Their cards are fast, just not up to my expectations these days

Thats pretty much it. Sorrry your not happy with it. my score just BARELY misses 13k, but im almost SURE its because of my cpu, im getting a AMD 64 3400+ Newcastle. so we shall see. i think its my cpu that holds it back so much because at 2.8 my score is 12300. at 3.2 my score is 12800! so it HAS to be the cpu. in my mind.

I went from my 9800pro to the 6800GT. Ideally I would have gone to a X800pro vivo etc but this guy was selling his 6800GT so cheap I couldn't turn it down. At first I was gutted like you guys as I expect a lot more. UT2004, Far Cry etc all looked poor as in the the pictures linked. My 3DM01 was hardly any better than the 9800pro although 3DM03 was about normal.

Then.... I did a fresh install on another partition and wow! Everything was so much better. Far Cry looks amazing and runs at 50+ fps on 1600x1200 with AA & AF and UT2004 looks just the same as it did on my 9800pro (but much faster). Colin McRae 4 now looks stunning at 1600x1200 4xaa 16xAF at 70+ fps. I'm using 66.81. I also used Driver cleaner on my other partition! My overclocked 3DM03 scores are 13500.

Moral, if you're moving from ATI to NVidia sometimes a fresh install is needed.

Wam said:
Far Cry looks amazing and runs at 50+ fps on 1600x1200 with AA & AF.....
thats the highest reported fps for farcry on a 6800GT that i have seen, even when i OC mine to 450/1.15 with my CPU at 2.54ghz 230x11 my fps dips into the low 20s....

Back