• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More FTP help/ firewall issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

OK, in my last post requesting FTP help I figured out how to set up filezilla and cerebus as my FTP client and server respectively, my only problem is that I cant connect to my server remotely....works fine when I run the client on the same PC as the server, but when I go to my parents and try it, or my girlfriend tries it, it doesnt work. Im sure this has something to do with the fact that im behind a firewall ( linksys wrt54g Router) Ive forwarded ports 1024-1026, becasue I thought those would be the ports the client uses, but still no dice.....can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong here??

chittnp said:
OK, in my last post requesting FTP help I figured out how to set up filezilla and cerebus as my FTP client and server respectively, my only problem is that I cant connect to my server remotely....works fine when I run the client on the same PC as the server, but when I go to my parents and try it, or my girlfriend tries it, it doesnt work. Im sure this has something to do with the fact that im behind a firewall ( linksys wrt54g Router) Ive forwarded ports 1024-1026, becasue I thought those would be the ports the client uses, but still no dice.....can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong here??

ftp = port 21, forward that to the IP of your internal pc running the ftp daemon. You need to know your external IP address, then ftp to ext ip address then that should get you to your box.

by default ftp is port 21..although on ur ftp server you can change whatever port you want it to.

just be sure the port you have on ur ftp server is opened on ur router..as what jajamon said

FTP uses port 21 for control and 20 for data in active transfers.
21 for data and a specified range for passive ports in passive mode.
You need passive mode in today's age of NATs.

Control = logging in, listing a directory.....
Data = actual transfer of data

Anybody that says just port 21 doesn't know 2 bits about FTP and should not really comment.

ok, ports 20-22 are open, still cant even see anyone externally trying to connect with the server....and still unable to connect externally, any idea what im doing wrong? the error message i get in filezilla says "disconnected from server, unable to conne

Last edited:
Back