• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

34 more mhz, but only 20 point increase?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

With 381/351, I scored 17,377 with 3dMark2001se. Then, after doing a volt mod, I was able to do 415/351, but I only scored 17,397. Just in case you can't understand my writing, here's what happened:

381/351 - 17,377 marks
415/351 - 17,397 marks

What's the problem? I have VPU recovery and Fast Write disabled...

Videocard overclocking in general doesn't have a massive impact per Mhz, even on 3D benches/games. If then clocking only the core and not the ram on the card, the already moderate delta between stock and OCed performance is reduced.
Depending on the situation, either core or ram can be the bottleneck for the card's performance. If the ram is the culprit in your case, then clocking the core will yield little gain.
Another issue that you might encounter is the variability of benchmark scores. If your old score was on the high side due to chance, while the new score on the low side, the delta may seem even lower than it really is. To combat this effect you should do repeated measurements.

3dmark01se is very dependant on your whole hard ware setup, try benching on 3dmark03 with is mainly focused on the video card post ur scores i wana see! and wach those numbers fly!!!

Hehe, ok, I will install that later tonight. Does anyone have any idea yet what 3dMark05 focuses on?

Quailane said:
I got 0fps at one point on my 9700pro.

my 9700pro never went that low. i'm pretty sure it stayed over 7-8 the whole time, but i dunno for sure...

Do scores that only run the game and cpu tests count for anything? I don't want to pay for the program.

mista ting, what's a Zalman-DHPC? is that the ZM80D-HP Graphics cooler, or some other model cooler? If so how are your temps using that? I was thinking of getting one because they are cheap enough. But there other cooling options as well.

Anyhow, back to the thread at hand I do believe 3DMark01 is more cpu and ram based then vid card, but I'm sure the 05 is graphic card based, because I can go from 3.0ghz to 3.6ghz on my cpu and it only changes the score by a fraction. But If I overclock or underclock my video card it has a profound effect on 05 scores. :beer:

*jj said:
mista ting, what's a Zalman-DHPC? is that the ZM80D-HP Graphics cooler, or some other model cooler? If so how are your temps using that? I was thinking of getting one because they are cheap enough. But there other cooling options as well.

Anyhow, back to the thread at hand I do believe 3DMark01 is more cpu and ram based then vid card, but I'm sure the 05 is graphic card based, because I can go from 3.0ghz to 3.6ghz on my cpu and it only changes the score by a fraction. But If I overclock or underclock my video card it has a profound effect on 05 scores. :beer:

yea its the new ZM80D-HP Dual Heat Pipe cooler, the best 30$ ive spent be shure to buy it with the zalman optional fan very quiet and great air flow has a nice glow to it and looks awesome if u have a case window the temps are amazing even while overclocked great thing is u can shove as many as 4*70mm fans on it my temps are oc'd 9800pro/xt @ 412/372 :beer:

System 22C
Gpu Idle 28C/Load 40C

Non-overclocked
Gpu Idle 25C/ Load 36C

OLMI said:
With 381/351, I scored 17,377 with 3dMark2001se. Then, after doing a volt mod, I was able to do 415/351, but I only scored 17,397. Just in case you can't understand my writing, here's what happened:

381/351 - 17,377 marks
415/351 - 17,397 marks

What's the problem? I have VPU recovery and Fast Write disabled...

You card is completely bottlenecked by your system speed in 3DM01se.

Viper

With 3dmark2001, a Radeon 9700 could break 20,000 with an Athlon64 FX, while an X800xt PE wont go past 12,000 with an Athlonxp 2000+. It is 100% cpu dependant, as cards have gotten powerful enough that it doesnt stress them at all.

Back