• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 4.8 or 4.9 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Should I install the 4.9's for the sake of keeping them up to date? This is with a fresh install of XP so I gotta choose one. Are there any performance gains/losses from using the 4.9's?
Do I need the microsoft .NET framework or anything?

I need to install some kind of drivers so I'm open to any that will give me good performance. Not sure if I want to try the Omega's or not...

I never used the cat 4.8. I went from 4.7 to 4.9 beta which came out before 4.8 and I switched to 4.9 when it was official. I'd say go for 4.9 but watch out for the new control panel. You need .net for that.

the big deal with omega's are that they're optimized and enable a bunch of features to make the IQ much better than typical catalysts. For my 9800np, without them I score within the variant margine on 3dmarks but I the IQ in games like FarCry, BF Vietnam, and good old NFS hot pursuit 2 is much better. You can go to their website to read about the details.

Back