• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU won't boot because of too much voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

falltime

Registered
This may be a stupid question but is it possible to give a proc too much voltage so it wont boot?

Just got a 3.0c (SL6WK 30-Cap) to replace my 3.2c (SL6WK 30-cap) so i could run at a higher FSB and really put the money i spent on the pair of ocz 4200 sticks to use.

So i threw it in and brought the FSB up to 250 and quickly just set the vcore to 1.65 (I like to set it to the highest safe vcore first to see if it can run at those speeds, then bring down the voltages till its unstable, that way i can avoid all of the annoying CMOS resetting which may just lead to finding out it can't run at so and so FSB)

So anyways... it wouldnt even boot to windows @ 250 w/ 1.65 vcore, but it's prime stable @ 245 w/ 1.525 vcore :confused: :confused:

I havent really tweaked with it much since. I will play with it more later by bringing down the vcore and trying to boot @ 250, but i thought i would ask first. It just didn't make sense to me....

Thanks for any suggestions..

Yes, it is. I'm sure if I set my BIOS to 1.9v it wouldn't boot. Anyone care to prove me wrong? :)

falltime said:
NM..... stable @ 250 /w 1.55 vcore :clap:

Have you tried doing 250 with default vcore? I've also got a SL6WK 30 capper that's good up to 254fsb default vcore (dual prime stable).

I know every chip varies but you should give it a shot.

Back