• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good RPG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Feydd

It seems like their hasn't been a decent RPG out since FF7. I picked up morrowind a while back hoping i would get into it. Well a few days ago I nuked it because I realized it was just an offline version of EQ. Could any one point me in the direction of a good RPG? I don't want one like EQ, or FFXI. I just hope they still make decent ones nowadays.

FIZZ3 is right NWN is definatly very good, plus there are a large number of user and a few developer made maps and levels that are very good as well.

What about the classic " System Shock 2 " That was one of the best RPGs I have ever played. That and Morrowind III The Elder scrolls

Whats the gameplay like? i'm looking for something with an actuall story and some what linear play (can't stand free roaming RPG's anymore after morrowind). And whats the leveling system like?

Last edited:
I'm guessing you want one with a GOOD story but doesn't make up have to stay in one spot forever trying to kill stuff over and over just to advance right? Hrmm.... haven't seen that in awhile. Like others mentioned NWN is pretty decent. Fable for the xbox rocks though if you have an xbox. Since I have no clue what you have or haven't played recently it's hard to make a recommendation.

Do you want a strictly PC game? Or want something for anything including any console like the xbox, ps2, gamecube or even the DC? Do you want strictly fantasy or can any genre work? Do you care about offline only or would you not mind online if it was good enough?

Feydd said:
Whats the gameplay like? i'm looking for something with an actually story and some what linear play (can't stand free roaming RPG's anymore). And whats the leveling system like?

NWN it's fairly linear, with a few sidequests that can be considered free roaming but need not be done. Then again, every FF series game I've played has been like that as well.

Leveling system for NWN is standard D&D stuff.

Right now I've got a PC and PS2. And as for sidequests, I don't mind them (best times i've had with an RPG was trying to get all the stuff done in FF7 like killing the weapons) as long as side quests arn't the whole point of the game like morrowind was.

Nope, not the point with NWN. They are just fun. And you can always download user made modules to have more sidequest adventures or whatever. That and BIOware is always releasing a ton of crap to keep modding the game for fun stuff.

For the PS2, have you done all the FF series I'm assuming?

Yea i've beat every FF game so many times it would be redundant to start playing one of those again. What about the new star ocean? I was going to pick it up but I bought the sims2 and RTW instead (in hindsight both of those were mistakes to buy).

Only reason i'm aprehensive about picking that up is because i'm worried it will be like xenosaga (half hour of cutscenes, 15 minutes of playing). If any one has played it could you post your impressions?

if you havnt played them yet i deffinatly recomend the baldurs gate series. Dungeon Seige is also a fairly decent RPG albeit relys a bit more heavily on the point and click hack and slash as per diablo (not as bad though, but still noticable). I second the motion for system shock two. It can be had as abandonware nowdays. And along the same lines is Deus Ex which was a great game in itself (mind you im talking about the former not its sequel which in short blew).

For PS2 ive made it my goal in life to get a hold on all the final fantasy RPGs prior to seven, and they are all magnificent, five and six being my favorite. Chronotrigger/FF4 come bundled together and Chronotrigger is great game too. That being said its sequel Chronocross is supposed to have been pretty good too though ive never played it.

I would stay away from Dungeon Seige as the story is weak to non-existant.

I would think Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic would be an obvious choice. Its probably the best RPG to come out in years.

i'll add that knights of the old republic is a great RPG. it has good replay value to, for an RPG, in that you must play thru as both good and bad.

plus it will get you good and ready for kotor II when it comes out. :)

If you're looking into some older, yes great games, I would recommend Baldur's Gate series. I wouldn't do the same for its companion Icewind Dale series, however, as it contains little character interaction. FF VII was also fun for me personally, but I guess you've already tried it.

if you have PS2, try Shadowheart:covenant (or the part 2)
you can also buy the part 1. I am not sure this still offered, my friend got the part 1 for free when he ordered the game. It's one of the best RPG in PS2.

Back