• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPU EPIA Mini-ITX mobo! Also Quad CPU demo'ed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stmok

Over a year ago VIA demo'ed a dual CPU C3 setup in a Mini-ITX format. It was never destined for retail, but served as a prototype and "proof of concept" platform. (in any case, it stirred some interest in the PC enthusiast/hobbyist market)

Its taken awhile to hear what they were doing in terms of further development...Now they've brought something to the table. (It will be a retail product!)
=> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7787520286.html

Picts (careful, they're a bit big)
http://linuxdevices.com/files/misc/via_dp_mini-itx_top.jpg
http://linuxdevices.com/files/misc/via_dp_mini-itx_beauty.jpg
http://linuxdevices.com/files/misc/via_dp_mini-itx_front.jpg

The CPUs are the two tiny square silver blocks on the right side. (looking from the top).

It'll be:
* known as the "DP" model
* based on two "Eden ESP" chips. (7W each, 1Ghz per CPU)
* Fanless (passively cooled)
* using CN400 chipset in production/retail version.
(Prototype is using the current CLE266)
* coming in 2005 (timed with dual-core release of Intel/AMD setups?)
* more expensive than current Mini-ITX setups due to testing at higher temps (better tolerance to higher temps) and 2nd CPU.
* supporting hardware MPEG-4 acceleration. (due to CN400 chipset)....In addition to the current MPEG-2 decoding.

In addition, VIA also demo'ed a quad CPU model, but this was in a non-standard rackmount format with Windows 2003 Server installed.

It ain't the fastest thing on the planet, but like the rest of the Mini-ITX line, its an interesting product. Who wouldn't want a low-powered dual CPU fanless setup? :)

Heck, who wouldn't want a fanless quad setup? :D

Last edited:
Niiiice. :clap: This is certainly good news - I remember when pics of that first came out and they said it wouldn't be sold.

That would be a good little workstation (provided it can handle a 1Gb DIMM or grow more slots) - especially the quad :).

It wont be fanless i can tell you that. Neat concept! All the goodies too, like, dvi dual lan and 1 pci slot for a better videocard or mayby a raid controller. Good idea for just random stuff. I love it!

Yes, correction on that.

Here's nice picts from mini-itx.com

=> http://www.mini-itx.com/

They have picts of the 2 dual CPU mobos in rack case, and the quad setup.
One heatsink covers both CPUs...The quad CPU one is a ATX format demo. (note : The quad is a demo, there's no info if its gonna go retail).

For what the hell is this board? For servers to slow, for workstations no AGP (and no slot for raid if using an pci-card). For HDTVs no need for dual :D.

x-stars said:
For what the hell is this board? For servers to slow, for workstations no AGP (and no slot for raid if using an pci-card). For HDTVs no need for dual :D.

how is that too slow for a server, 1ghz is PLENTY fast for a moderate webserver..

would be nice for a computer to put in a car... or a small computer to bring around... (like a laptop but bigger and cheaper)

These things would be really cool to build a robot around. Not really overclocking-like, but i used to be a big fan of lego mindstorms (smart programmable lego bricks), and i can imagine that NASA or the army would have interest in something as small and powerfull like this to put in one of their robots. You could easily fit a servo controllerboard onto this and have this little thingy steer a hummer while the cpus handle the input from the GPS reciever to plot the route. :)

x-stars said:

It depends on your needs. These are perfect for fileservers tucked in the corner somewhere, where you don't have to worry about their thermal characteristics. ie : overheating.

In fact, some companies use clusters of VIA C3 processors to do rendering jobs without needing an air conditioner to cool the room. (Which is typically used to cool a room full of AMD or Intel CPUs.)

The thing is, many don't understand the point of the C3 CPU.

The idea or objective is to develop a CPU that is low power, low cost and performs enough to "just get the job done" adequately. It is not designed to compete with Intel or AMD on the high performance end. Even the founder of VIA's CPU confirms this in an interview => http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2656883479.html

You would never use it for high-end server or workstation work.

You use it for firewalls, routers, VPN (thanks to its hardware encryption), HTPC, PC in a car, home fileserver (eg : Clarkconnect Linux), Thin clients, NAS, robots, etc. See how diverse the uses for this platform?

I have to say that this is a really cool product, and I was interested when it was demoed a while ago. But I just can't see it being worth the money at all. I would wager that a person could build a reasonable MP system for the same or less than that platform would cost. Sure, it produces a lot less heat, but if a person were to underclock an XP to 1GHz, it would eat considerably less power, and it would still spank that Via, probably with a single processor in almost all cases (if not every one of them). But I don't know how close a person could come to 7 watts with an XP . . .

Z

zachj said:
... I don't know how close a person could come to 7 watts with an XP . . .
Z

For comparison, a PIII 1GHz (.13 micron variant) will still put out around 29 watts @ 1.5 volts (default). A low voltage model at the same speed like this appears to be around 12 watts @ 1.15 volts.

I don't know how much you can undervolt with a MP/MPX board, but that combined with low clock speeds would probably get you close. And then like you said, it would still kill the VIA system.

BUT the MP/MPX board isn't exactly a 6.5" square. :D

I figured a person could get dern close to 7 watts with underclocked XPs (although two of them on one board MIGHT be a struggle . . .), but I didn't want to say it was a fact . . .

As for size, there are very few things that would need two CPUs of such low potential in such a small form factor. Anything requiring more than a single Via EPIA would be better off with one of those tiny Pentium M platforms that cost three times as much . . .

Z

Am i right to assume that the VIA chips, because of their lower clockcpeed and low IPC, have a simpler design then the Intel / AMD chips of today, thereby being less interfered by radiation?

That way they could be interesting for NASA. They still use 486 and even older chips to run the shuttles, because 'faster, better' chips are heavily influenced by space radiation thereby producing errors. Wouldnt that be less with the via ones?

Rad hardened chips can only be done on large processes. .35, .25 and lower won't work because of the ingredients (lead?) added to the chips to make them less susceptible to radiation.

Back