• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is ati tool's artifact scanning accurate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of the time yes, but it has been cases where it didn't detect the artifact and kept raising the oc, but sometimes this was caused by screensavers coming on or monitors turning off and the card wasn't being stressed to cause any artifact.

I have had problems. After ruuning it for a while, it said that the 9800xt core could reach almost 700Mhz!!!!!! On my computer the highest speed it will overclock my card to is way below the stock specification. It is bunk on some systems, but usefull on others. I prefer ati tray tool myself.

so what is the most accurate artifact scanning proggy besides playing a game?

cause ati tool says my oc isn't stable, but theres no artifacts in 3dmark

there may be some artifacts you just can't see them.

thenerd said:
so what is the most accurate artifact scanning proggy besides playing a game?

cause ati tool says my oc isn't stable, but theres no artifacts in 3dmark

3D Mark is as good if not better. In my experience, when the video card wasn't stable, 3D Mark always had video corruption on at least one of the it's tests.

Usually, for me, if ATI Tool displayed video corruption, 3D Mark will too.

I think atitool is better than 3d benchmarks cuz it tells u when theres the smallest artifact, but sometimes u cant tell with benchmarks. How long do u guys usually scan for artifacts before its playable.

30 minutes, but i just ran my for 20 minutes and plays fine in games

thenerd said:
30 minutes, but i just ran my for 20 minutes and plays fine in games

the thing is, the longer you run it, the longer the "heat up phase"'s are, so artifacts can come even after running it for an hour.

I really don't like ATI tool.

Are there any other decent overclocking programs?

There's lots of other tools available. One that's gaining momentum here because of it's auto-OC feature (like ATITool) is ATI Tray Tools, and it may work better for you. Besides that, there's a ton of manual overclocking tools, and searching the forums should bring up a nice list :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
the thing is, the longer you run it, the longer the "heat up phase"'s are, so artifacts can come even after running it for an hour.
Exactly. I once had an artifact appear after 47 minutes of total stability, with the program itself running for somewhere around 1.5 hours. As long as ATITool works for your card (ie: dosent say your core can hit 700 :D) then the longer you run it, the more realistic your results will be.

JigPu

Back