• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teeg98

Registered
I have an athlon 1800+ xp processor, Idle temp=44c , after running prime95 for 20min temp was 54c, coreV=1.73. What do I do to oc my cpu? I know that my MSI motherboard allows me to adjust my cpu speed by adjusting the FSB. Do I just keep bumping my FSB little by little until my system becomes unstable or temp. gets to drastic? Thanks in advance for any help :)

teeg98 said:
Do I just keep bumping my FSB little by little until my system becomes unstable or temp. gets to drastic? Thanks in advance for any help :)

JACK POT its not too complicated its quite easy as long as u dont bump your fsb by a 100mhz :)

i agree with c627627,
Overclocking with retail cooling for any 1800+ though may be a problem because those heatsinks are not as good as the ones AMD started shipping with Bartons.
yessumm, the ones with the bartons had this little shiny copper insert. btw, i also have an 1800 tbred-b. it can run [email protected]. didn't go farther b/c my h/s wasnt' so great (v9)and i got a 2500 with a slk900. After using the 2500 for about 2months, i purchased a mobile.
GL!!

I'm not using the stock hs and fan, Here's what that prog. said:
Processor #1

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD Platform: Socket A (Socket 462)
Processor: AMD AthlonXP(TM) (Palomino)
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

CPUID Information:
Standard: Family: 6 Model: 6 Stepping: 2
Extened: Ext. Family: 7 Ext. Model: 6 Brand ID: N/A
Process: 180nm
Revision: A5

CPU & Bus Speed:
CPU Speed: 1613.66MHz
AMD PR Rating: 1920+ PR
CPU Multiplier: x 11.5
CPU FSB Speed: 140.32MHz
Bus Speed: 280.64 (DDR)

Basic Cache Information:
L1 Instr. Cache size: 64KBytes
L1 Data Cache size: 64KBytes
L2 Cache size: 256KBytes
L2 Cache Ratio: 1/1 (100%)

Instruction Set:
MMX: Supported
3DNow!: Supported
3DNow!+: Supported
MMX+: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Not Supported
X86-64: Not Supported
SSE3: Not Supported

So Apparently it's a palomino, don't know if that's good or bad, this readout is after I bumped my FSB up by 7 as you can see. So Lemme know if this is good news, bad news or what, BTW I am adding two more case fans and cutting a blowhole in the case to get the temp. down more.

Hey, watch out. 54C under load is plenty hot already. You do not under any circumstances want to go over 60C load. Before doing anything, I'd get a better HS/fan. The info above is pretty self explanatory. Could you be more specific? Palomino is bad for OC.

Thoroughbred B's overclock better than Thoroughbred A's which overclock better than Palominos. You may not be able to get your Palomino 1800+ to do better than 1900+ or 2000+ speeds which is not much of an overclock that can be "felt."

You can get a decent overclock out of a Thoroughbred B (as much as 2.3 GHz average). A's do maybe 2 GHz.

Type of cooling is important: all copper Thermalrights (not Thermaltakes) are among the best. nForce2 chipset mobos are the best for overclocking. Type of Ram: PC2700? PC3200? is important for overclocking.

Brand of the power supply (not watts) as well.

You want to overclock, we can help you but you'll need to make a couple of changes to your system.

If you have no $, that's OK, eBaying the Palomino and adding just a little bit for, say 2100+ T-Bred B would be a start.

The best overclockers are mobile 2500+ and mobile 2600+ Bartons but they cost twice as much as 2100+ B's which you may be able to find for under $50.

Back