• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help, boot looping :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strykar

Registered
So, I became impatient with waiting on the DFI Board for S939, so I did a little upgrade to my former Dell. It's an 8200 series, or should i say was, because the only original component is the CPU now, and soon that will magically turn into a 2.7 P4, but now its just a 2.0 P4 on the Northwood core.

Ive got a dual memory pack of Kingston HyperX 3200 BH-5 running stock volts @ 2.6 and a new PSU.

So, hook everything up... bios runs... detects the P4...says "running at dual channel" detects the gig... detects the hard drives... everything looks good... select my partition (running Linux as well) but it doesnt matter because soon after selecting either partition, it loops back and starts detecting hardware again... I've tried both hard drives seperately then several I had lying around, some coming to unmountable boot volumes, but most just looping.

Swapped out the IDE cables several times to no avail... talked to Newegg, i can RMA it if need be, but id rather not as I have a lan this weekend and would rather not be stuck with 256 megs of rambus again... *sigh*...

So if you guys are any help, id greatly appreciate it...

By the way, im sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move it if need be.

Gonna try flashing the bios in a bit, but things are looking pretty helpless :(

Well, its the controller... primary is dead, secondary is fine... gonna drop my backup HDD and my dual drives and exchange for a single "i do it all" drive to tide me over during the lan this weekend, then RMA it on Monday :(

Sniper.nkc said:
What did you do to determine it was a bad controller?

Started using the secondary and everything worked, heh...

JKeefe said:
:)

At least you figured out what was wrong, Strykar. Aren't newegg RMAs nice?

I will soon find out, but it is pretty nice how easily they allowed me to RMA, didnt really ask any questions after I told them about the controller.

Back