• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro will work right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaxonSteele

Registered
I have an ASUS mobo (see sig) and just ordered a 9800 pro 128MB video card. Now when I ran 3dMark it said my AGP was 4X. Is this because of my current cards limitations? I should have no problem installing this card into the system I have now right? I am also looking to upgrade my RAM to 1 gig PC3200 or so. Any advice there? Eventually I will upgrade my CPU and mobo as well but probably not until the first of the year.

Any idea what kind of difference I should expect with the new video card? I also just ordered Doom III (hence the upgrades).

I know, at least with my mobo, that I had to enable 8x AGP in the BIOS. Look in to that maybe?

JaxonSteele said:
I have an ASUS mobo (see sig) and just ordered a 9800 pro 128MB video card. Now when I ran 3dMark it said my AGP was 4X. Is this because of my current cards limitations? I should have no problem installing this card into the system I have now right? I am also looking to upgrade my RAM to 1 gig PC3200 or so. Any advice there? Eventually I will upgrade my CPU and mobo as well but probably not until the first of the year.

Any idea what kind of difference I should expect with the new video card? I also just ordered Doom III (hence the upgrades).

Riva Tuner or the BIOS will enable 8xAGP.

You will have no problem playing Doom 3 on your setup, should be a match made in heaven.

Make sure you tweak your video settings for Doom 3, that is for the ATI cards in general. YOu will find that you can raise your fps 15-35, that will help you out considerably!

is your mobo a k7n8x or an a7n8x, cause I couldn't find a k7n8x in the asus website and if it is an a7n8x it supports 8x you just have to enable it in the bios.

It's an A7N8X-Deluxe.... I have the non-deluxe version..... and like everyone else has said.... just switch it in bios to 8x and all should be well. If you choose not to enable 8x it still won't make much difference as the 8x vs 4x doesn't make any real huge improvements.

Back