• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R.I.P. My good friend 9600XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

football

A moment of silence please....K, thanks!

Thought I would prep my computer for the 2400+ I was about to recieve, so I setup the computer out of the case to clean parts. While I had it out of the case, I thought it would be a good chance to test the 9600XT out of the case (much cooler conditions).

To my surprise, it finished 3dmark03 at 600/440 without a flicker. So I thought I would run alooping timedemo in quake 3 to test stability...Why the hell did I do that for. :bang head

After about 30 minutes I decided to goto the store, and when I returned. I thought the system was in "Stand By" mode, but it wasn't.

After I tried a few times to boot it, I decided to look at the card. When I touched the card, it was hot as a oven running at 500 degrees!

It was only the top portion, but damn it was hot!

I thought maybe after a little cooling it would work, but it doesn't. The card still get's power, but get's so hot where the heating coil is on the top portion of the card. :bang head

That's what I get for being greedy I guess, it sure does hurt tho.:(

Think I will take a break from overclocking for a while, I feel bad.

i bet its not dead, ati has vpu recover, so that should shut it down before any damage is done. also, that thing has temp monitoring? isn't there a temp limit where it will shut down at?

try cold booting your pc, reboot a million times, reseat the card, just keep trying, it may come back to life.

GL

I hate to see good hardware die.

I could be wrong, but i don't think that the vpu recovery will save you card from cooking when oc to much.

The vpu is supposed to shutdown when the core stops being able to execute the commands.I think.
So maybe the memory is to blame.

football said:
Slimmy said:
I hate to see good hardware die.
QUOTE]

That's what I'm having a hard time with Slimmy, I'm not taking it very well..Believe that! :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

youll get over it bro, you didnt loose that much $, i lost $300 with my gf3 back in the day...

just get a nice x800pro as a replace and it will be soon forgotten

I would be screwed if any part of my pc died, so just feel better knowing that there are people worse off than you. Think about the first people who realized that you could no longer take heatspreaders off p4's without shattering the core.

PhobMX said:
youll get over it bro, you didnt loose that much $, i lost $300 with my gf3 back in the day...

just get a nice x800pro as a replace and it will be soon forgotten

You have much more to lose than I do, trust me. It's hard to replace something you really can't, and a ati800 is definitely not seeing the inside of a computer I own for a long time.

Now if I can run as fast as my oven at 500 degrees, I might beable to own one of those "gems" of a card.:D

Back