• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wOOt! Sent the XT/PE to Viperjohn for Vmods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WA2

wOOt! Sent the XT/PE to Viperjohn for Vmods

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

He will be doing the following to 1 of my X800XT/PE's:

Vcore, Vcore OverCurrent setpoint, Vcore Droop, memory Vdd and memory Vddq.

These vmods, along with my Maze4-1 TEC should make for one kick *** card! Watch out top ranked 3DMark05 peeps! heheheheh

Just wish I had an FX-53...those things are smoking!

Oh man, you are going to absolutely *LOVE* your Maze 4-1 setup - after setting up my pelted GPU loop and overclocking with it, I'll never run a video card un-pelted again in my life :).

How high a wattage peltier are you planning on using?

If you can, I would suggest that you get yourself a 172W / 24V 40mm peltier, and a 24V variable PSU for your setup, to get the most out of your card's core, with a hefty overvolt. I've got similar cooling on my 9800 Pro, on an independant water loop, and see load temperatures a good 20 degrees below ambient with the pelt on 22V, and the card overvolted.

If you email Danger Den before you order your Maze 4-1, they will switch the 40mm 80W pelt that comes with the Maze 4-1 kit, for a much better 40mm 172W pelt, and charge you something like $10 for the difference.

Chances are very good that with a nicely setup water loop on the peltier, and a reasonable overvolt, you'll be clearing 650 on the core :)

...be doing the following to 1 of my X800XT/PE's...

Are you planning on giving the other one away to someone who really, really, really wants it by any chance? :D

quick question since im new here, who is Viperjohn? How much does he charge for this, and how do you know you'll get your card back..do you get a reciept of somekind? I am all for having my card vmodded but I would like to take it somewhere, not send it, or at least know who I am sending it to. Any help would be great. Enjoy your new card when you get it..gonna be awesome!

*jj said:
quick question since im new here, who is Viperjohn? How much does he charge for this, and how do you know you'll get your card back..do you get a reciept of somekind? I am all for having my card vmodded but I would like to take it somewhere, not send it, or at least know who I am sending it to. Any help would be great. Enjoy your new card when you get it..gonna be awesome!

Itis going to be around $200 for the mods and tec install.

felinusz said:
If you can, I would suggest that you get yourself a 172W / 24V 40mm peltier, and a 24V variable PSU for your setup, to get the most out of your card's core, with a hefty overvolt.

If you email Danger Den before you order your Maze 4-1, they will switch the 40mm 80W pelt that comes with the Maze 4-1 kit, for a much better 40mm 172W pelt, and charge you something like $10 for the difference.:D

The tec is only an 80w. I already got it. Would a 172 do me that much better I should order one?

Well, considering how expensive this project will end up being for you regardless, the ~$20 spent on a new 172W/24V Peltier to replace your 80W/16V peltier is just about the best investment you can make - even run at 12V a 172W/24V peltier is superior to an 80W/16V peltier on 12V.

On 12V, a 172W/24V peltier gives you an effective ~66W. An 80W/16V peltier on 12V gives you about ~55W.

Neither peltier has a Vmax of 12V, and neither sees its full potential at 12V as a result - the performance difference between an 80W/16V peltier on ~16V, and a 172W/24V peltier on ~24V is *quite* signifigant.

Plus, you can easily get a variable 24V PSU with sufficient Ampage to handle a 172W/24V peltier on eBay - I got mine for $9 plus shipping with a little bit of help in finding it.

What do you guy do to stop condensation near the gpu? or, is this even an issue? I love my maze 4, and I've been thinking about a pelt, but I'm kinda nervous.

invisible hand said:
What do you guy do to stop condensation near the gpu? or, is this even an issue? I love my maze 4, and I've been thinking about a pelt, but I'm kinda nervous.

Dielectric grease around the GPU and neoprene on the back of the card. I was woried the 1st time I put a pelt on one of my cards...I would not run one witho ut now. They rock and are much easier then you would think to setup.

felinusz said:
Well, considering how expensive this project will end up being for you regardless, the ~$20 spent on a new 172W/24V Peltier to replace your 80W/16V peltier is just about the best investment you can make - even run at 12V a 172W/24V peltier is superior to an 80W/16V peltier on 12V.

On 12V, a 172W/24V peltier gives you an effective ~66W. An 80W/16V peltier on 12V gives you about ~55W.

Neither peltier has a Vmax of 12V, and neither sees its full potential at 12V as a result - the performance difference between an 80W/16V peltier on ~16V, and a 172W/24V peltier on ~24V is *quite* signifigant.

Plus, you can easily get a variable 24V PSU with sufficient Ampage to handle a 172W/24V peltier on eBay - I got mine for $9 plus shipping with a little bit of help in finding it.

You need to whip out the old book and brush up on your Watts law. Wattage goes down at the
sqaure of the ratio of the voltage change. The 24.6 volt, 172 watt TEC running on 12 volts
would have have about 4 watts less Qmax that the 16.1 volt, 80watt TEC running at the same
voltage.

The water cooled 80Watt TEC will have sufficient DeltaT to pull the cold side into single digit C's
loaded.

Viper

Viper

invisible hand said:

Condensation is not that hard to prevent with proper insulation techniques. What is harder is
not introducing hot side heat into the cold side and hurting the already low efficiency of a TEC
even more.

Viper

hUMANbEATbOX said:
this is what viper john does: http://www.imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn

he makes xp-pe's run at 642.339

on air. :eek:

Thats 642/639 and that was a very good XT-PE. They do not all do that and some do not even
get close. You can not get around having good luck in the draw to start out with and ATI is
having a hard time getting R420 "AD" cores that will run XT-PE clocks + overdrive clean at the
present time.

Viper

*jj said:

Hi JJ

I am ViperJohn. Click my name go to my picture site and shoot me an email and lets get to know
each other. If I wasn't a straight shooter with my customers you probably would know who
I am by now and so would various law enforcement agancies around the world as that is my real
name in my email address.

Viper

This guy is the **** guys. He knows exactly what he is talking about/doing. I would, and already have recommend anyone wanting a mod done to his vid card to get in contact with him. Wonderful communication too. I am very happy I chose him to do my mods. Amazing the knowledge he has on these things!

Once ya go Viper ya never go back :D

ViperJohn said:
Thats 642/639 and that was a very good XT-PE. They do not all do that and some do not even
get close. You can not get around having good luck in the draw to start out with and ATI is
having a hard time getting R420 "AD" cores that will run XT-PE clocks + overdrive clean at the
present time.

Viper

ahhhh, DON'T BE SO MODEST!

true not all cards will do those speeds, but your work is quality, i don't know of anyone else who mods cards like you do.

for anyone interested, here's a link to krag's viper modded x800: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=309528&highlight=krag+x800
i'd say he's a happy customer. :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
ahhhh, DON'T BE SO MODEST!

true not all cards will do those speeds, but your work is quality, i don't know of anyone else who mods cards like you do.

for anyone interested, here's a link to krag's viper modded x800: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=309528&highlight=krag+x800
i'd say he's a happy customer. :D

Not being modest, just being honest. You can have the best OC stepping CPU in the world and
still get a dud. Video cards are no different. Most are average, some are really great and there
are others only dynamite could get to fly. I let prospective customers know that in advance.

Some cards throw a memory glitch (artifact) persistantly at one place in a benchmark test but
no where else. Krags card was like that. His x800XT-PE would throw an odd memory artifact
at the same place in 3DM01se Lobby every time at any memory speed higher than 584 but would
run well in excess of 620 in everything alse clean. I still knocked his card down to a 584 memory
clock clean in his final test report because of the damn glitch in 3DM01se Lobby. That artifact
does not reproduce in the real world though (many do not) and he games the card at 633 memory
and never see an artifact anywhere.

The clean in everything clock speeds I find here clean in all the benchmarks after modding are
only a guide as to what you can run but they are not the holy grail. You can often game clean
at much higher clock speeds as Krag took the time and my advice to find found out.

Viper

Back