• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.40A 533MHz 1MB L2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

user4711

Registered
P4 2.40A 533MHz 1MB L2/beep code Q

I was led to believe the A meant a Northwoods. The FPO is 7402A609 so this is a Presscot? second week of 04. :confused:
I'm currently running at 2.646 and it seems very stable but i get a beep code that sounds like a french police siren. can anyone tell me what it means?

Northhwoods:

A: 400 FSB, B: 533 FSB, C: 800 FSB, D:800 FSB (all quad-pumped)

Some "D" type northies (presscott's) have the 533 FSB (like yours) The 1mb L2 cache is the tell-tale sign...

The "A" is the FPO means nothing! All northies (regardless of flavor) have that "A".

Btw, how exactly does a french police siren distinguish itself from other sirens?

He has the IC7-Max3..... which may give an alarm if you overclock too high or your temperatures are too high. Dig around in the ABIT Intel Mobos section and see if there's already a thread that will answer your question..... I'd imagine there is b/c the IC7-Max3 is a popular board.

Actually, here's a thread that may answer your question Linkage

Hope this helps :)

-Meatball

All P-4 CPUs with 1MB cache are Prescotts. The 2.4A and the 2.8A are Prescotts. Celeron D are Prescotts.

The high/low siren on Abit mobos mean overheating, too low of fan RPM, or undervolt/overvolt condition of one of the monitored voltages. Try setting everything at default (speed and voltages), then check temps and fan RPMs.

BatBoy is right, you have a prescott with 1MB cache, NO HT and 533 bus. A friend of me has the same he is running it on 3.6Ghz in a p4c800 with zalman aircooling.

Often the siren sound on an Abit is indicitave that you have exceeded the limitations of your memory. Try backing off on the fsb:dram ratio and/or increase timings. Try more memory voltage as well.

Don and Batboy-Thanks for clearing up the Nthwd/ Prsct thing. Temps according to Abit EQ for the cpu have been topping out around 50 -52 under use although that may be a low reading,temps read in the BIOS tend to be 2 degrees higher. fans all run at speed. Alarms are set to go off if either OATES or cpu fans fail and the case window faces me so I can check visually. I was thinking I get the alarm because Ive exceeded memory freq .or the cpu is underpowered. I still have the stock cooling so I dont want to push things too far. Funny thing about the siren is I dont always get it. just maybe every third time I boot.
btw a french siren is two alternating tones,high and low ( think French Connection)

I have the same chip put together with a MSI 865PE Neo2-V mobo. I also got the alarm. Mine however was verbal (CPU fan failed).It turned out to be due to the fact that there was no fan attached to the motherboard cpu fan connector and fan monitoring was enabled in the bios. Disabled and no more alarm. My overclock right now is limited because there is no voltage adjustment in the bios even though the manual says there should be. :confused:

user, take a loot in the manual, it will tell you what the beep codes mean exactly.

i can't find mine or i would take a look for you. its buried in a box somewhere. :-\

user4711 said:
Don and Batboy-Thanks for clearing up the Nthwd/ Prsct thing. Temps according to Abit EQ for the cpu have been topping out around 50 -52 under use although that may be a low reading,temps read in the BIOS tend to be 2 degrees higher. fans all run at speed. Alarms are set to go off if either OATES or cpu fans fail and the case window faces me so I can check visually. I was thinking I get the alarm because Ive exceeded memory freq .or the cpu is underpowered. I still have the stock cooling so I dont want to push things too far. Funny thing about the siren is I dont always get it. just maybe every third time I boot.
btw a french siren is two alternating tones,high and low ( think French Connection)

Hi user

I noticed when i installed my 2.4a it never liked default vcore (1.385 I think) it gave funky boots so I set it to 1.4v solved my problem so you might try the same.

Back