• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undecided - It's a Samsung face-off...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Funaro

Registered
Hey all, it's been a while. :)

Here's the deal -- I'm thinking about getting an LCD monitor for gaming. It's a coin-flip between the Samsung SyncMaster 710T, or the Samsung 172X.

Tech specs on the 710T are:
- Native Resolution: 1280 x 1024
- Pixel Pitch: 0.264 mm
- Brightness: 300 cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio: 600:1
- Response Time: 12 ms
- View Angle: 160° / 160° (Horizontal / Vertical)
- Input Connectors: 15pin D-Sub, DVI-D

Tech specs on the 172X are:
- Native Resolution: 1280 x 1024
- Pixel Pitch: 0.264 mm
- Brightness: 270 cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio: 500 : 1
- Response Time: 12 ms
- View Angle: 160° / 140° (Horizontal / Vertical)
- Input Connectors: 15pin D-sub, DVI-D

As you can see, the tech specs are nearly identical. Just wondering if anyone here has any real world experience with either (or both) monitor(s).

Thanks a lot for your time. :)

I havn't used either but judging from the specs the 710T is better...larger viewing angle, higher contrast ratio, and it's brither.

bump im having the same deilema. Im split between the two. any real world experience with these bad boys? And how scared should i be of dead pixels if i order it online... Ive heard horror strories of a glowing red/green/blue/white pixel right dab in the center of screens before and thats almost enough to make me want to shell out the extra cash and buy it in a brick and mortar

I also seem to be deciding between these two. From what I've heard so far the people who've gone either way are happy with their monitor. I just wonder how much brighter the 710T really is. I think the 172x looks pretty cool, and it is cheaper. I look forward to any input as well.

Well I appreciate the reply, I do I do, but I just can't bring myself to trust THG further than I can throw it, and well since its an intangeable website I can't throw it very far now can I?

Any other hardware guides even? But I'd really like a personal review of either or. And also has anyone ordered an LCD online? Should I be concerned about dead/malfuncioning pixels?

If you are worried enough about it to the point where you'll freak out if you get a dead pixel, and are willing to spend the extra cash at best buy, then just buy it at best buy.

Dead pixels DO happen, they are not guranteed to happen and not guranteed to not happen.

As far as Tom's Hardware. They reviewed both LCD's and the 710T came out good for gaming, whereas the 172x still had a few issues. If you can't trust Tom's hardware for anything, how can you trust us? Tom's hardware actually tests these products extensively, we do not. I wouldn't base your decision soley on Tom's hardware, but don't simply throw away that information. The 172x is still a good monitor, but the 710T is the newer model out with better features. I would get the 710T unless you want to save the money or need a silver panel.

If you look them both up under newegg they've got a bunch of user reviews as well as hardware website review resources listed on the left hand site in purple.

I'm going through the same dilemma here and am also trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $35 for the "T"...

What about the 711T?(Black).

It has a 1000:1 contrast ratio vs the 600:1 which means it's brighter. It's $20 more on Newegg. I have personal experience with this monitor directly under flourescent lights and it is great with no glare or washout under normal conditions. It's refresh rate is 25ms though if that is any concern. The 19" is even nicer :D

Also keep in mind most online retailers will only return a monitor if it has more than "x" dead pixels (Neweggs' is 8) So, one or two strategically placed dead pixels will not be the end of the world in the grand scheme of things. Now brick and mortar I am not so sure what their policy is.

Back