• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 8500LE Mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moos3d

A while ago, when I was stupid about hardware I bought a Radeon 8500LE from a site on pricewatch for $60. Later replaced it with my current Sapphire 9600XT. Anyway skip ahead to today, I'm currently working on turning an old P1 heatsink into RAMsinks for the 8500LE with a hacksaw/file but that just isn't enough. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find any guides to good soft/hard mods to get every bit of performance out of this old card. I would prefer mods that don't require soldering but I do have solder and a soldering iron if needed.

You can volt mod the card, but there realy arent any other mods for it. What you see is what you get.

If you want to volt mod it(requires soldering and reduces the life of the card a LOT) look in the volt modding section.

You can get a little more speed out of it. I wouldn't bother if you want to keep the card going for a while.

Well the reason I want to use it for overclocking is the reason I really have no place for it as it is right now. I plan to put together a second system when I have enough spare old parts but I will be using a GeForce 2 for that since I much prefer Nvidia cards for stability and general non-gaming use. My main questions are though, how much do you think it would take off of the cards life if done correctly, and how exactly does changing the voltage make it any faster?

Changing the voltage does not make it faster, but when overclocking your cpu you hit a wall, increasing the voltage will let you go a few mhz higher. Personaly, I dont think its worth it, be happy with what you have.

And whats that about ati cards not as stable? Seems to me my NV card's have more driver related problems....

Yuriman said:
Changing the voltage does not make it faster, but when overclocking your cpu you hit a wall, increasing the voltage will let you go a few mhz higher. Personaly, I dont think its worth it, be happy with what you have.

And whats that about ati cards not as stable? Seems to me my NV card's have more driver related problems....
I figured that is what was meant by the volt mod comment. I personally have found NV cards to be much more stable though I haven't used an recent cards, I have had easily 10 times the problems with my 8500LE/9600XT compared to my GeForce 2. I believe most of the NV card driver problems are more high end visual problems involving things like AA/AF on newer games.

Back